Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2015-2016 MLB Offseason Thread

1. Official 2015-2016 MLB Offseason Thread

I guess you guys were waiting for me to make my return to TNL to make this thread?

I actually haven't kept up too much on the offseason happenings. I probably watched/followed baseball more this year than any other though I didn't watch too much of the Phillies.

I know Alex Gordon signed a $72 million contract over 4 years today. I'm not sure what the market is like but I was a little surprised at the annual value. He's a decent player and fun to watch but he probably falls into the "above average" category at this point in his career. I guess good solid outfielders are getting tougher to come by these days.
    Last edited by Gohron; 07 Jan 2016 at 01:43 AM.

2. I think the Royals got him at a good price. There's always going to be some overpaying in free agency, but I don't think KC did that. Gordon's deal is comparable to the one Adam Jones got with Baltimore.

Still waiting on Chris Davis. While he's a true power hitter who will have success outside of Baltimore, there isn't a better ballpark for him than Camden Yards. Angelos loves him, so he's willing to wait it out. O's also need to solidify their rotation. Curious to see what they do in that department. Chen is still out there and he was Baltimore's most consistent pitcher, but he's a Boras client, so....
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

3. I'd be interested to see how Davis will age. What type of contract do you think he's going to merit? I'd also not be too crazy about Bruce Chen when there are potential other options. He probably wouldn't cost too much but I think Baltimore needs to bring in some more talented pitchers if they're going to remain a contender in that division. Good pitching is easier to come by these day than is good hitting/defense.

I also agree with your assessment of Alex Gordon. I was just a little surprised by the annual value but it wasn't a real long contract so I think it probably works out best for everyone (considering Gordon's age).

I really like the moves the Phillies new GM has been making. It looks like they're finally getting onto the analytical side of things (Ruben Amaro seemingly was against modernity). I doubt they'll be a contender this year but I know that they're going to win some games and may push somewhere around .500. I was upset to see them trade Ken Giles (he reminds me of Craig Kimbrel) as he was an exciting young closer under team control for awhile but they got a hell of a haul for him and I think good closers are overrated when it comes to how much they help a team win games over the course of a season. The Phillies have some real exciting kids coming up and I'm looking forward to seeing what some of them do this year (Aaron Nola and Maikel Franco in particular). I really think they have a few AllStars in the making and could have a pretty talented team in another season or two as long as they play the rebuild off right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    Good pitching is easier to come by these day than is good hitting/defense.
    If that were true, aces wouldn't be commanding $30M/year.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I'd be interested to see how Davis will age. What type of contract do you think he's going to merit?
    He's in the prime of his career but it all depends on his lifestyle. He's a new father, so I don't think he's out raging every night. I think he has at least a solid 5 years of productivity left, so the 7-year/$150MM contract he was offered is more than fair. The $200MM number that's been floating around is insane and he's not worth that much. No way.

I'd also not be too crazy about Bruce Chen when there are potential other options. He probably wouldn't cost too much but I think Baltimore needs to bring in some more talented pitchers if they're going to remain a contender in that division. Good pitching is easier to come by these day than is good hitting/defense.
    LOL. I haven't heard Bruce Chen's name in a while. I was referring to Wei-Yin Chen. He's not an ace, but a solid 3 through 5 rotation arm.

I really like the moves the Phillies new GM has been making. It looks like they're finally getting onto the analytical side of things (Ruben Amaro seemingly was against modernity). I doubt they'll be a contender this year but I know that they're going to win some games and may push somewhere around .500. I was upset to see them trade Ken Giles (he reminds me of Craig Kimbrel) as he was an exciting young closer under team control for awhile but they got a hell of a haul for him and I think good closers are overrated when it comes to how much they help a team win games over the course of a season. The Phillies have some real exciting kids coming up and I'm looking forward to seeing what some of them do this year (Aaron Nola and Maikel Franco in particular). I really think they have a few AllStars in the making and could have a pretty talented team in another season or two as long as they play the rebuild off right.
    Moneyball is a real thing, but Philly has got a long way to go. They need to get rid of Howard and bring in a younger, cheaper bat.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

I'm susprised the HoF class hasn't been mentioned. I love it, as it has a Met and probably my favorite non-Met. It's pretty damn hard to argue against either guy, and I'd love to hear from the boob(s) who didn't have Griffey on his ballot.

7. Both Griffey and Piazza were no-brainers. To this day I have an image seared in my brain of Piazza bleeding profusely after taking a batter's follow-through swing right to his forehead. And Griffey had the sweetest swing. So smooth.

As for those writers who didn't vote for Griffey, I really want to know what they were smoking. I don't get it. Perhaps they're holding a grudge for that time when, shortly before retiring, he fell asleep during a game in the Reds clubhouse?

I suspect it's not that specific. No one has ever gone in unanimously, so there were probably some douches who wanted to make sure he wasn't the first.

I forgot to mention the most interesting trivia about the pair in my earlier post: They are the highest and lowest drafted HoFers ever at #1 overall and the 62nd round (#1,390).

9. Official 2015-2016 MLB Offseason Thread

Why did almost 70% of people vote for Trevor Hoffman? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If that were true, aces wouldn't be commanding $30M/year.
    This. Where are all these good pitchers? Most non-Mets teams have zero or one ace. Relief pitching is a crap shoot, always has been. With closers not named Mariano Rivera, you don't know what you're gonna get.

The market has definitely prioritized pitching.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Type Ryan View Post
    Both Griffey and Piazza were no-brainers. To this day I have an image seared in my brain of Piazza bleeding profusely after taking a batter's follow-through swing right to his forehead. And Griffey had the sweetest swing. So smooth.

As for those writers who didn't vote for Griffey, I really want to know what they were smoking. I don't get it. Perhaps they're holding a grudge for that time when, shortly before retiring, he fell asleep during a game in the Reds clubhouse?
    There are people who think nobody should be unanimous because Babe Ruth wasn't or something. Basically it's some insufferable old school baseball shit. Probably a bunch of Cardinals fans.