Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: David bowie is dead. This is too important for the dead thread

Today was a mess. I couldn't sleep last night. I just stared at the wall in the dark until 5 am. Then I slept until 7 and showed up to work 30 minutes late. I didn't do much at work. I was useless. I was about useless at work last week over Lemmy.

The only thing covering my worthless ass is the the number of bosses out for ffoootttbaaallll and the lurch from getting back from christmas.

2. This is the first celeb death in a long time that has really bummed me out. Growing up, I was aware of his hits but never bought an album or anything. A few years ago when I bought my daughter her first car (2000 Neon) it only had a tape deck. I went to a thrift store and the only tape that called out to me was Rise and Fall. I used her car as a winter beater (she didnt want to drive in the snow), and listened to that tape on my hour long drive to work and then home again for a month straight. Eventually listened to most of his discography and really came to respect his artistry.
    One of my fondest TNL memories consists of Anthony and his mooching friends sitting on a roof singing about the fat skinny people and wondering what the fuck song they were singing.
    Sucks, but he outlived several of his contemporaries and was relevant til the end. Very few people can manage that.

3. This is such a bummer. He was one of the greatest songwriters of our time, remarkably consistent and always respectable. This is a big loss for our culture, I don't think anyone disliked him.

If you really want to see his acting chops, watch Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. It's a fantastic war film and he's great in it.

4. Seconding Mr. Lawrence. I first heard of that film when I was digging through some vinyl record stacks in an Atlanta junk store and found the soundtrack. Thought 'hey, Bowie!' and bought it. Kept walking and the local art theater was playing a 35mm print of the movie the same day.

The movie was fantastic, and the Ryuichi Sakamoto soundtrack is one of my favorites.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 11 Jan 2016 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

oh, you wonderful funny bastard

6. Dropped off Blackstar to my Dad, saw a tear roll down and he got quiet. Went through my old closet and found a 2 Disc SE of Man Who Fell To Earth and Best of Bowie.
    So, that's good.

7. Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    If you really want to see his acting chops, watch

Click for full size

David schooling MTV.

Attached Images Attached Images

9. Just stopped at a friend's house and he and is wife were damn near inconsolable. I think what makes this so hard is 1) no one had time to prepare for it and 2) he had an impact that went beyond music that affected generations of people around the world. It's a cliche but I think it's fair to say that he was truly transcendent.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill