Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The X-Files (Fox)

1. The only trans person I can think of who isn't a hot mess is the one on Orange is the New Black and she's in fricking prison. I know the stereotype exists but it seems pretty much the default portrayal at this point.

2. The most visible trans people are prostitutes who spend most of their time in public areas. It's a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    The only trans person I can think of who isn't a hot mess is the one on Orange is the New Black and she's in fricking prison. I know the stereotype exists but it seems pretty much the default portrayal at this point.
    The transwoman in Sense8 isn't negatively stereotyped.

The X-Files episode didn't come across as offensive. If anything, Mulder was being politically correct about the situation.

4. Last night's episode was amazing. I'm so sorry this is only a few episodes long and a lot of people have dropped off already due to the lame first episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The most visible trans people are prostitutes who spend most of their time in public areas. It's a non issue.
    This is a really shitty stance and it also proves that there is an issue with the portrayal of trans as a group – they're just assumed to be this really negative stereotype. I know several trans women and they're good humans. If you made that kind of comment about ANY OTHER minority group it would be lauded racist.

I don't think that makes anyone on XFiles transphobic but I can completely empathize with someone being upset that their tribe is portrayed so shittily in pop culture.

Anyway I'll leave it be as not to derail the thread.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 11 Feb 2016 at 12:46 AM.

6. Trans people are weird. They have to accept that. It doesn't mean they're worth any less than other folks, but it does mean they're a curiosity. I have tattoos on my knuckles. I understand people associate that with certain things. It's ok.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    This is a really shitty stance and it also proves that there is an issue with the portrayal of trans as a group – they're just assumed to be this really negative stereotype. I know several trans women and they're good humans. If you made that kind of comment about ANY OTHER minority group it would be lauded racist.

I don't think that makes anyone on XFiles transphobic but I can completely empathize with someone being upset that their tribe is portrayed so shittily in pop culture.

Anyway I'll leave it be as not to derail the thread.
    It's not a stance, it's just an observation. For many people, the only obviously trans women they see are the ones putting themselves on display on street corners. The reasons for that are as unfortunate as the result, but that doesn't make it not so. The show is just reflective of a common perception, and the stereotype is part of that.
    Last edited by kedawa; 11 Feb 2016 at 06:52 AM.

8. Relevant.

Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.