Thread: ZX Spectrum, Vega, and Vega+

ZX Spectrum, Vega, and Vega+

The ZX Spectrum is/was an obscure enough (in North America) European computer to not even have a NeoZeedeater thread dedicated to it. However, Clive Sinclair's current company, Retro (used correctly for a change) Computers will be releasing a portable version of their 2015 ZX Spectrum Vega, the ZX Spectrum Vega+:

Quote Originally Posted by PCGamer
    The Vega+ is functionally the same as the Vega and maintains the composite television connector, but also sports a built-in LCD screen. Like its predecessor, it will have 1000 ZX Spectrum games built into its hardware, and will also be able to download additional games—roughly 14,000 of them have been made over the years—at no charge.
    My relatively ignorant take on the platform is that it's like an MSX but a lot less interesting. I'd love to be proven wrong though. Here's a reel of a few gameplay examples:

Last edited by Yoshi; 17 Feb 2016 at 05:32 PM.

2. My experience with it is limited to being horrified by the screenshots from ZX Spectrum ports on Hardcore Gaming 101.

Cool thread, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    The ZX Spectrum is/was an obscure enough (in North America) European computer to not even have a NeoZeedeater thread dedicated to it.
    I did make one in the early years of TNL. It was pretty shitty, though. It was before I went on a major spree of trying out over a thousand (emulated) games for it. I'm too lazy to try and make a better one now.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/thr...clair-Spectrum

Sir Lancelot is a very underrated puzzle-y platformer (although I prefer the CPC version since you can choose the level order).

I blame SSJN for failing to make a complete list.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    The ZX Spectrum is/was an obscure enough (in North America) European computer to not even have a NeoZeedeater thread dedicated to it. However, Clive Sinclair's current company, Retro (used correctly for a change) Computers will be releasing a portable version of their 2015 ZX Spectrum Vega, the ZX Spectrum Vega+:

My relatively ignorant take on the platform is that it's like an MSX but a lot less interesting. I'd love to be proven wrong though. Here's a reel of a few gameplay examples:

Spectrum is a piece of shit that isn't really designed for video games, but it arrived at a time and price point that made it the dominant platform of the early '80s in England. So there are great games on it you should play, but expect them to be eye-searing and ear-bleeding experiences.

6. This reminds me of my first ever... <3

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Spectrum is a piece of shit that isn't really designed for video games, but it arrived at a time and price point that made it the dominant platform of the early '80s in England. So there are great games on it you should play, but expect them to be eye-searing and ear-bleeding experiences.
    yeah, it has not aged gracefully

As a kid I wondered why certain C64 games (Head Over Heels, Skool Daze) had a weird low colour/high contrast look. I didn't learn until years later they were ports of Spectrum games. Most of the best Spectrum games are ones that originated on the system. Games like Jetpac, Deathchase, and Star Strike are worth playing today.

The hardware limitations really show in the other multi-format releases. I'm amazed to see the Spectrum beat out the vastly superior C64 in UK polls when this is the typical difference between the two:

9. Good lord.

Also: That sunset reflection is pretty cool.