Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about self printing

1. Doesn't KoF work at a printing plant?
    Boo, Hiss.

I thought that was the Dragonmastar.

3. Diff don't know TNL.

4. Fe I've heard hand scanners are pretty good these days. You might have luck scanning each page from the gutter out with them. 300dpi cmyk will be best. You would have to colour correct each scanned file to increase the contrast. Not sure how each diagram would be effected.

If you find colour correction (dropping yellows and whatever else) is ok you could batch apply that to each page. From there I think you can actually open TIFF files right in Adobe Acrobat makes a PDF. You could probably insert the rest of the pages after that in one bulk insert.

I don't know much about scanning, but as a professional printer I can tell you scanned text is going to look rough, no matter the resolution. If you insist on not using ocr scan high and output the print file at 300 dpi.

6. You were the one!
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Dragonmaster Dyne did print prod too. I remember him asking me how to land more creative design work.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

To illustrate why I want to avoid OCR, look at the disclaimer from this german manual

Click for full size

To start off, this is all in 1930s/40s german Fraktur or Gothic font. Would OCR be able to recognize all of it? And would it have the same font to replace it with? And the German language has evolved since this was written.

If you pass it through OCR, you get this, which is incorrect:

die in ein gefrinter Wegenftanb im Slum bey 88 Nei* traf
    =Nefet,buc0 (aaffunq born 24. Wprit 1934). Vitbraut tvirb nad ben
    ejtintinungen biefe Nefe0e beftraft, foiern nitt anbere
    Straibeftimmungen in Arage fonmen.

I've translated it to:

Dies ist ein geheimer Gegenstand im Sinne des 88 Reichs = Straf =
    Gesetzbuchs (Fassung vom 24. april 1934). Missbrauch wird nach den
    Bestimmungen dieses Gesetzes bestrast, sofern nicht andere
    StrafBestimmungen in Frage kommen

Then in english:

This is a secret object in the categories 88 Empire = Criminal = Code
    (as amended on April 24, 1934). Abuse is punished according to the
    provisions of this Act, unless other penal provisions come into
    question

It might be difficult for modern OCR. Notice how the second letter in the second word doesn't even exist in modern german. It looks like a hanging t, but is now an s. Or in the last sentence, it has two of those "hanging t's" in the middle word, "totern" but the first t is an "s" and the second is a "f", so the modern word is sofern.

And this just the disclaimer in the front cover of one book. To use OCR, you'd just about have to rewrite a quarter of the book. And if you're going to do that, why not just make that an additional project and sell translated copies in addition to german copies?

(also, this isn't my scanner. This is a blurry cameraphone picture).
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. If you're just scanning text, scan those pages at 600 dpi in either greyscale or bitmap and you should be fine. Trying to scan and reproduce 4 color images is a bit trickier, and requires some pretty extensive photoshop manipulation to remove the moire patterns and whatnot.

90% of what I want to do now is black on yellowed paper