Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Scratch That Collecting Itch?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post

Build a raspberry pi emu machine, then use raspberry pi to learn more about coding or hardware.

I just did this
    Last edited by GohanX; 21 Feb 2016 at 04:59 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I'd just not collect. Collecting should be a byproduct of a goal, not the goal.

Maybe get more involved in a hobby that is now too expensive to collect.

Build a raspberry pi emu machine, then use raspberry pi to learn more about coding or hardware.

Maybe start drawing g your own comics.

Maybe learn how to make your own movies.
    Pick up an instrument. Etc.

I like music a whole lot, so I like to listen to records. If you like music I highly recommend it. There are almost always weirdo things to be found in the bins at thrift shops.

4. Roms. Epubs. MKVs. FLACs.

Old LCD watches. Those are getting pricey though.

The FLAC thing is also true. It's like a scavenger hunt upgrading these mp3s. A Japanese only CDR release of underground bands from 20 years ago? Found it.

Plus, you have to be good at torrents which is a game in itself. I guess I also collect digital copies of movies and TV shows I like. I'm around 8 TB.

6. Ever since my parents gave away by brother's GI Joe figures (the original ones from the 60's worth a shit ton of money), my brother went through this phase where he bought toys with the hopes they would become valuable collector's items, and would buy such gifts for everyone regardless if they asked for it. I called them "mierdita" gifts. Cleaned out my old closet and found a couple unopened Starship Troopers toys he gave me back when I was in high school. I have absolutely no use for them but they might be worth something. Also found an unopened Hot Wheels Sojourner model. Might be time to sell these things.
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

7. There's always clothes. There is no shortage of clothing anywhere in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

8. Vintage medical equipment.

9. If I could afford it I'd collect headphones.
    If I had more time, I'd get into a hobby like woodworking.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

10. How to Scratch That Collecting Itch?

Laserdiscs, baby.

I've set out to get as much of the original Criterion Collection run as possible. I don't know if it's just a California thing, but I seem to find the damn things wherever I go looking for them.

Focusing on the Criterions does two things: 1) there is a fixed number of them (384, counting re-releases I plan to skip), 2) it naturally puts me in front of other movies I'd find interesting.

To the former point, even if I don't get all of them I'm still banking a collection of really incredible movies, and the ultimate stopping point has a finite ceiling. Most of the movies I'm finding in the wild range from $1 to $10, with exceptions for box sets and crazy wild rare stuff (James Bond movies with banned commentaries) that I'm learning more about as I go.

To that latter point, today I picked up a copy of FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE aka DUCK YOU SUCKER, which is not a Criterion, but has rad-ass cover art and is an extended version of the movie I haven't seen for cheaper than buying a used DVD.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 21 Feb 2016 at 11:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!