Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: System Shock (PC) and Remastered Edition (PC, One)

1. wait, this is Unity? shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

2. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Unity?
    UGH

3. The video I saw looks fine. Why would you care what engine a game that looks good runs on?

4. Because while there's a number of Unity games I've played that have run just fine, almost all the ones I've played in recent years that don't run well are on Unity. Whether that's the developers or the engine I couldn't tell you, so all I have to go on is the one thing they have in common.

5. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Because while there's a number of Unity games I've played that have run just fine, almost all the ones I've played in recent years that don't run well are on Unity. Whether that's the developers or the engine I couldn't tell you, so all I have to go on is the one thing they have in common.
    Unity 5 is much better in this regard than Unity 4. It's not the speed-demon that Unreal Engine is, but it seems to handle a lot better than its predecessor. Dreamfall Chapters performs much better since they upgraded it to Unity 5, for example, and it looks nicer to boot.

But in general, Unity seems to handle better on the lower end than on the higher end. For cell phone games and indie stuff that doesn't run crazy with lighting it performs better than Unreal, but then on the high end, Unreal seems to run circles around Unity. I've definitely seen some poorly optimized unity games, especially on the old version.

System Shock 3 and Underworld Ascension are also Unity btw.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 16 Mar 2016 at 02:58 PM.

Unity still has major issues with large, wide-open areas, but that shouldn't be a problem for System Shock.

7. I don't know, Gone Home ran like shit (relatively speaking, a 780Ti should have made that thing hum at 144+) and it took place in a house.

Then again, it's Gone Home.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    Unity still has major issues with large, wide-open areas, but that shouldn't be a problem for System Shock.
    It's more that it has problems with a lot of light sources. Which is sometimes true of open areas, especially urban ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    I don't know, Gone Home ran like shit (relatively speaking, a 780Ti should have made that thing hum at 144+) and it took place in a house.

Then again, it's Gone Home.
    Gone Home ran like butter even on my old Radeon 5750. It's a little choppy on my laptop though. But again, old version of Unity.

9. Last gen the most popular engine was UE3 which had all the latest tech. This gen it's shithole Unity which struggles with advanced features like lighting. Thanks Obama.

10. There's been a noticeable shift to Unreal 4 since the doors were thrown open to that engine recently. I've been seeing a lot of indies take advantage of it, but there's still plenty of Unity going on. Honestly, my experience with Unity has been fine so far, but I have noticed that Unreal games are just looking better. It's a consistent visual improvement from developers big and small, too.