Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: System Shock (PC) and Remastered Edition (PC, One)

1. Kickstarter is live

There's a playable demo, which goes a long way towards upping my confidence in this project. It seems like a pretty safe bet at this point.

The price of the tiers and the incentives don't seem too enticing, but I'll give them my $30 for the base level.

I don't like the demo at all. They've removed a lot of what I like. Gone is the feeling of agility, replaced with slow movement and delayed weapon swings. Gone is the way you can quickly interact with everything, replaced with slow animations for plugging chips into your head, charging up, or getting into a medi bed. Gone is the industrial and electronic soundtrack ala Front 242, replaced with generic strings. This is everything I don't want from an updated System Shock. They've cut the skin off of the original and fitted it over the innards of a modern survival horror.
    Last edited by bVork; 28 Jun 2016 at 11:29 PM.

3. I do agree on the music.

Music is such a huge part of game experience.

5. The controls and movement in SS were already horribly slow and clunky...I can't imagine the remake "ruining" that.

Downloading the demo now. We'll see.

*EDIT* Looks beautiful, runs very well despite how early in development it is, and it appears to be very faithful to the original. So far I don't agree with bVork on any of his complaints...I didn't find the pipe-swinging slow, and those little animations don't bug me at all. I did find some buggy mutant behavior (one couldn't walk around a railing to get at me), but that's to be expected at this point.

I also don't mind the more subdued soundtrack currently being used, which (like the HUD and other stuff) may only be a placeholder, anyway.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 29 Jun 2016 at 12:51 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. The animations don't bother me because they don't take control from the player. I can still walk and look while they're happening.

7. Switch from Unity to Unreal Engine 4 announced. Probably a very good idea.

Hi everyone! Jason here this time to share some really important news. As some of you may have heard (http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/1/14784082/system-shock-reboot-unreal-engine), we have officially switched our engine for System Shock to Unreal Engine 4. I know this seems like a risky move, and in some ways it is, but we’ve mitigated that risk by switching over early. To shed more light on how we reached this decision, I’ll need to go over a timeline.

August: After listening to everyone during the Kickstarter campaign, it became clear that console support was very important to a lot of you. We took a hard look at what Unity could do on consoles, and what we wanted to achieve for both visual quality and performance. While Unity is a great engine, it was clear that we needed to use an engine that fit our project goals more closely. We took a few weeks to research various engines (mainly Lumberyard and Unreal).

September: After the engine research and evaluating feedback on our visual style, we decided to try out Unreal and see what it had to offer. Around the same time, we needed to fill critical spots for the leads team. Recruiting takes time (actually, a lot of time, especially for the senior positions). I think we went through about 30+ interviews for various candidates from Sept-Dec. Most of the folks we selected were developers I had worked with on Fallout: New Vegas, so it made getting them up to speed on things pretty quick.

October-December: During this time we focused on getting the nuts and bolts of the content inside of Unreal. Around the end of October, we were confident Unreal was the right way to go, but we didn’t want to announce the change just yet, since we wanted to prove to our backers (and ourselves) that we could deliver a slice of the game in Unreal with the updated visual direction. Couple that with the lengthy time recruiting/onboarding takes and we were steadily making progress towards our goal by the end of December.

January: The next step before being ready to reveal our efforts was to establish a proper level using everything everyone had built up for Unreal. This is essentially for the “Vertical Slice” phase, but the early stages. I like using an iterative corner approach to vertical slice, meaning we would work on a small section of the vertical slice content, iterate and refine it until we were happy with the end result (typically finding problems and correcting them, tweaking things here and there, etc). Once the corner (in this case it was actually a series of rooms, a vent shaft, several hallways, and a lovable mutant named Marty) was finished, we would be ready to expand on the rest of the vertical slice content.

February: After a lot of hard work, the corner was finally to a point we were happy with, which brings us to now! That pretty much paints a picture of where our heads were at with all of this. We didn’t make this decision lightly, and wanted to be sure we could do the game justice with this engine shift. Feel free to ask questions either in the comments or the Discord server. Let us know what you think! We want to ensure you feel we’re going in the right direction with all of this.

- Jason Fader, Game Director
    Last edited by Dolemite; 02 Mar 2017 at 07:15 AM.

8. Great news

9. While Unity is a great engine...
    Let's not go nuts here

10. !!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread