Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing? (Spring, 2016)

1. What's the most accurate/best way to play Doom 64 on a PC these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I haven't finished Uncharted, but I started Far Harbor anyway. What's another ball in the air?

3. I really want to properly get into Bravely Second and wrap up Dark Souls III, but I can't stop playing Killer Instinct.

Wow, I just typed that.

4. Ooooo, did you make some shadow lab characters yet? Papa needs a new punching bag!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

5. Uncharted 2. Again!

I tried playing it a few months ago on PS3 and lost interest at the "kill a bunch of dudes and then arm the explosives around the camp" mission.
    Now I'm doing it on PS4.
    Man this game is pretty!
    Man this game is a mess!
    I'm thoroughly enjoying the spectacle, don't get me wrong. But as something to actually play? Oye. Now that I've played both, I suppose the "you can only interact with these shiny areas" of Remember Me is far less annoying than the "You can climb this ledge here, but not that one or that one or that one or that one or..." of Uncharted. I'm in a jungle full of vines and limbs and rocks. Why can I only interact with THAT vine, THAT limb, and THAT rock? Or, here's a city full of broken architecture. Lemme waste half an hour trying to climb shit or enter windows and man sized openings that invisible walls hold me back from. "So don't worry about that shit man! Just do what the game wants you to do and move forward," you say. Well, I would except the developer decided to throw meaningless trinkets all over the world and my OCD compels me to find them and since they're often in out of the way areas...you get the picture.
    And the world is so inconsistent!
    I got mad at myself for not realizing that the reason I couldn't get a treasure in an early stage was because I should have used the dart gun to knock it down. I kept trying to jump to nearby ledge, or grab the hanging tapestry, died half a dozen times and said fuck it maybe I'll get something later that will allow me to reach it. Soon after there was another treasure that there'd be no way for me to reach and THEN it dawned on me, try shooting it stupid! Half an hour later I'm in the jungle and hey, there's a glowy thing way up over a water fall. Pull up my sights, shoot it, nothing. Adjust my aim a bit, try again. And again, and again, and again. I didn't want to leave the environment because I thought I'd permamiss the thing like I did in the other level. Finally I said fuck it and left. Only to discover an environment or two later that there was a path I could take that led to the glowy thing. Stupid!
    Then there's the propane tanks!
    The first time I grabbed one and threw it at a fire, I didn't realize that that was what I was supposed to do. Big explodey shit happened. Keen! Then I tried throwing them into other fires. Nope! You know what's more hilarious than chucking an object into a burning building only to watch it bounce off an invisible wall before it hits the building? Not much! Or how about maneuvering Nate so that I could drop one directly on a fire (harder to do than one might think!), run away, and then watch as absolutely nothing happened! Awesome!
    I don't want to seem entirely negative so here's some things I like:
    1) Headshot? More like headshots! Whodathunk it takes 3 headshots from an AK to take someone down!
    2) Here come 50 dudes in body armor and shit. Fuck them I'm wearing a Henley!
    3) Speaking of 50 dudes, Nate seemed kinda bummed when he was in the cave with all the dead dudes and remarked, despair dripping from his words, something like "It looks like they killed each other!" Then goes on to mow down 50 dudes.
    4) Nate was very adamant in the museum mission that he didn't want to kill anyone. No guns! Then drops a dude off a ten story building. Then sneaks up behind dudes and snaps their necks.
    5) Sassy hot chick always ready and willing to use sex to get what she needs. It's the men that need to advise her that there is Another Way. Liberating!
    6) Pipes and ledges that break a bit as soon as you leap onto them, but will hang by a thread till the end of time once you're dangling from one. Realism!
    7) Here's a stealth section. You can hunker down against this wall...but not that one! See a way around the room that isn't the one the developer predetermined for you? Ha ha buddy, prepare for death. Sneaky!

I don't know. I really liked Uncharted 1 when I played it. This just seems silly. I don't think exploration game and murdering game are two great tastes that taste great together, and I've no interesting in the murdering part.

But uh, it sure has sweet graphics and shit. GotY 2009!

6. It sounds like you're writing the script to Angry Video Game Store Owner.

I always thought the mass murdering in Uncharted (all of them) was crazy. And I do remember the treasures being annoying in the ways you describe- it didn't seem reasonable that anyone would actually find them all in a normal playthrough. Some encouraged exploration and figuring out how to reach something, but others are dangling somewhere and you can't get them until later, and those situations are at odds with each other. I definitely looked them up.

I don't remember the propane tank thing, but I'm probably not as adventurous in testing stuff.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

7. Getting back into Geometry Wars Retro Evolved and 2, I am not as accurate in these 2 than G3. I think the PS3 DS2 thumbsticks are better than the 360 thumsticks..

8. well that's odd.
    I've click "edit post" three times to fix some grammatical fuck ups, yet the reply box is empty each time.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 20 May 2016 at 04:38 PM.

9. wow, and now it ate the entire post.
    Was able to click back a few times and copy it.

(in response to Darmonde's Angry Video Game Store Guy thing)
    I'm not sure how I should take that.

Just finished the train scene. That was...obnoxious. I don't mind dying when it's because I'm a lame gamer. I do mind it when it's because "we're going to do this thing that you've no time to deal with until you know its coming and you won't know it's coming until it's already killed you." Like jumping down from the top of a train to the platform below, only to discover this particular car doesn't have a platform down below- even though all the others did.
    A lot of this is silly. Especially the dude that took 80 rounds to the head before I punched him a few times to take him out. So stupid.
    Also stupid? Redoing the climb from the beginning of the game.
    I think this bugs me as much as it does because it works so hard to seem real, and then destroys it with all this dumb video game stuff.
    I think the experience would be much more fun and visceral™ if they went full stealth with the occasional boss fight. A dude should not be mowing down dudes left and right, soaking up bullets and grenades like they were mere inconveniences- until there's a scripted bullet. Now you're really hurt. But only for a moment because you're soon climbing trains and taking dudes out in a snow storm or whatever with the greatest of ease.
    There also shouldn't be a machine gun laying around in a temple that's been hidden for hundreds of years.

For all the silliness, I am enjoying it, don't get me wrong. But it kinda makes me wish for something to take the best parts of this and replace the dumb parts. The game became more enjoyable when I finally bothered to go into the options and turn off the hint system. You dudes (the developers) spent a lot of time creating these environments. How about you let me look at them and appreciate the intricacy for more than 30 seconds before you assume I'm just dumb and don't know what to do next?
    It also makes me appreciate The Last of Us more. Which also had plenty of silliness, but did a lot of things so much better.

10. I was poking fun at you, like a jerk. But because I figured you would be okay with it!

The game is really hokey, all the stuff you're complaining about is legit. But as you said it's still enjoyable, and I think that's what the goal was, to make a game that's enjoyable. I assume that a lot of things like the hint system, the developers sigh just like you that they exist. And also I didn't think Uncharted was supposed to be that real at all. It's pretty fake. Maybe that's why I didn't think too much of it.

About the train redo part, I actually thought about that before. I think it would be jarring to get there then just skip the climb. Maybe they should have made a cutscene showing it again? Maybe they figured that you'd be a lot better at the game, and doing that again you'd realize your own progress and feel good about it? If so I wasn't better and probably died more the 2nd time. In the end I think doing it twice was probably okay.

Overall it sounds like either you're letting little things bug you too much, or you're just going off about it because it's easy and gets views. Hence the Youtube show joke.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner