Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The RIAA Made More $ From Vinyl Sales Than it Did From YouTube in 2015

I can understand that outlook, but I listen to records all the time.

2. Bandcamp and iTunes both take a cut of everything you sell on their platforms but they're probably the closest thing to STEAM or PSN when it comes to buying music.

3. Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    Bandcamp and iTunes both take a cut of everything you sell on their platforms but they're probably the closest thing to STEAM or PSN when it comes to buying music.
    Itunes sells in their shitty compression format. Bandcamp sells in any physical and virtual format you could almost want. Itunes takes a HUGE fucking chunk of profit from music sales. Bandcamp only takes a smaller portion. If itunes didn't have such a huge monopoly on digital music they couldn't get away with that.

I fucking love records.

But I don't buy many new ones. $25+ is not my magic price on records. $15 for new feels a lot better. Maybe 17.95.

I think most people that buy records plan to listen to them, eventually. Its just that it isn't super easy to walk in and buy a good record player and stereo and fuck buying those record eating suit case things.

If someone wanted to make money on youtube, they'd set up a gear review channel on youtube and review entry level and mid priced turntables and receivers. That market is probably ripe for what has happened to vintage games. The twenty somethings want someone to tell them what the good tables are.

Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    Bandcamp and iTunes both take a cut of everything you sell on their platforms but they're probably the closest thing to STEAM or PSN when it comes to buying music.
    I sell on both. Bandcamp is considerably better than iTunes for the artist. At least at the level I'm at.

For the listener they offer every purchases in more formats than you'd want from the shittiest mp3 up to FLAC or fucking Ogg Vorbis or whatever.

10% cut on physical sales, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    But I don't buy many new ones. $25+ is not my magic price on records. $15 for new feels a lot better. Maybe 17.95.
    It's got to be something special for me to want to spend $20 on a record. I know how much they cost to press!

7. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    Records seem to just be totems these days. It's a physical artifact to feel like you actually bought something.
    They also have music on them which I listen to every day.

8. I'm speaking generally.
    Boo, Hiss.

Your mom is speaking generally.

10. Generally, yes.
    Boo, Hiss.