Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The RIAA Made More $ From Vinyl Sales Than it Did From YouTube in 2015

1. Arcade The RIAA Made More $ From Vinyl Sales Than it Did From YouTube in 2015

https://medium.com/@RIAA/state-of-th...b30#.wpzu9girr

Quote Originally Posted by RIAA
    "Last year, 17 million vinyl albums, a legacy format enjoying a bit of a resurgence, generated more revenues than billions and billions of on-demand free streams: $416 million compared to $385 million for on-demand free streams."
    So they're generating an average of $24 per vinyl album sold and seem very pissed that they haven't figured out how to make a similar upcharge whenever they and Google come in and steal all of the revenue from little Jimmy's Call of Duty montage that he worked hard on and just happened to have a minute or two of some RIAA music blaring in the background between garbled voice chat and enemies' cries of agony. It sounds like Google must be getting the majority of the revenue whenever people's personal YouTube videos become "claimed" by the copyright bots.
    Last edited by jyoung; 23 Mar 2016 at 01:56 AM.

Steal RIAA music or buy it used. That's it.

3. I wish there was a system where all artists can get paid properly. And I don't mean a donate button on their web page... I mean like Steam or Xbox Live where if someone buys your indie game you get 70% of the sale.

But we're quickly moving to a world where nobody buys music.

There is. Bandcamp.com is pretty fantastic.

Also, people buy records from largish bands when they offer them in a pre-order limited edition format. Coheed is self releasing this way, and I don't think those guys are working day jobs.

It's probably transitional though. I don't know how much longer there will be physical product.

I wonder how many of those records being bought now are actually being listened to. I know we got a lot of vinyl fans here, but I'd be willing to bet most of those RIAA dollars are going to hipsters who never crack the seal.

6. How else are they going to listen to it on the subway on their portable phonographs?

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I wonder how many of those records being bought now are actually being listened to. I know we got a lot of vinyl fans here, but I'd be willing to bet most of those RIAA dollars are going to hipsters who never crack the seal.
    Don't care! Buy a Quarantines record!

That made me realize how ironic it is that I made that last statement when I have all of the Quarantines records, despite never having listened to them. One day I'll fix my turntable...

I haz mp3z!

Quote Originally Posted by Barista
    I have a triple whip vente mocha half calf single source frappa latte for GohonX!

10. Records seem to just be totems these days. It's a physical artifact to feel like you actually bought something.
    Boo, Hiss.