Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Old Folks GOTM April 2016: Dragon Warrior III (GBC)

1. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    My issue is that I mostly can only play RPGs on a handheld. Thus, I have played 1 and 2 several times, as well as the DS versions of 4 and 5. I went back and played the NES version of 4, it might be the only one I've finished on a console. I actually own the entire main series, but I just never get around to playing the home versions. I've had Famicom and SFC translated carts of DQ3 for eons now, but I just now got the GBC one, so now is my first time playing it.

Speaking of handhelds, haven't played much DW3 the past couple of days, was building this:

You got me thinking about doing that, as I prefer the wider grip of the og advance. Too bad I didn't want to do this two years ago when the kits could be had for $40!

Tell me about it. It's very easy to do, I'd barely even call it a mod, but I had to pay $60 for a beat to shit SP on ebay to get that screen. I'm going to try to install a frontlit SP screen into one next, but I have to wait for adapter cables to come in from China since I learned the hard way that you can't use the same ones as the backlit screens.

By the way, don't bother with the aftermarket frontlight kits they sell now. Even with a LOCA installation they are terrible. The Gameboy Color one is a bit better, but it still doesn't look as good as the one with the SP frontlight crammed into the shell that I paid a guy way too much money for back in the day.

3. ugh. people cannablizing sp's annoys me. even if they're beat up, a crappy $5 replacement case will keep them in circulation.
    the 101 is going to go the way of nes mmc3 carts.

So I started the snes one.

This is a very charming game. It is almost sega cd like. Music sounds better than average. Sprites are grest. And holy shit at the bad guy animation.

Also, this puts a lot of Japanese dirty books into context.

Charm is what sets it apart from the earlier games,I think. I'm not really doing anything that wasn't in dw2 but I'm having a hell of a lot more fun.

1 was charming. It had really cool bad guys for the time. But the story did not pull you in. 3, so far, is charming in more areas.

The random battles are a bit of a slog though. Just so many. I'm getting into them every 3 steps.

8. 3 is excellent. I've never actually played through 4, 5 and 6 myself so I'm working on 4 DS now, I'll probably finish it about the time all of you finish it.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

I've beaten two ticket games, and I just got that king his spices.

Still having fun. Lord at the random battles though. Lord at the hidden monster chests. Shit at how worthless my mage and cleric are.

Just busted the fake king.

Man, such sexy animation. This is one of the best looking jrpgs Ive seen on the snes.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 10 Apr 2016 at 05:28 PM.