Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41416171819 LastLast

Thread: TNL Old Folks GOTM April 2016: Dragon Warrior III (GBC)

Alright, Dragon Warrior 3 has been defeated! All hail me, the great hero!

I actually had to fight the last boss THREE times. My level was plenty high enough, everyone was in the 40s, but The first time I fought Zoma I forgot to use the Light Orb. The second time, a random enemy cast the spell that sent one of my dudes (who was holding the Light Orb) back to the tavern, and when I retrieved them I forgot that it put the orb in my bag, and didn't figure it out until Zoma was kicking my ass. Third try, I remembered, didn't have a big issue beating him.

Excellent game. Probably my second favorite Dragon Quest after 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

2. You guys are troopers. I got maybe three hours into this game, a game I would have called one of my all time favorites a month ago, before it started to feel like a chore.

I dunno, with the exception of The Dark World I thought it was light hearted and fun. I certainly have no nostalgia since this is my first time.

4. It was my first time, and my first Dragon Warrior I put any real time into since VII.
    I cheated, but I enjoyed myself! I don't think I could have hung with the NES/Gameboy version though. The cute enemy animations and rest of the graphics went a long way towards me sticking with it.

I probably would have been stuck and pissed though if this were 1991 and I didn't have the internet or SSJN to give me a hint on those orbs. (And the sun stone, it's in the fucking kitchen?)

6. You'd pretty much need to know to have a thief and use the "seek out" ability on every frickin' screen.

Or be Japanese and purchase some kind of guide

8. I'm pretty sure Nintendo Power had a guide for DW3 around when it came out. Possibly spread over a few issues or at least one covering the orbs and other important items.

Otherwise I'm not sure how 11 year old me figured out everything. I talked my Mom into ordering the mail-away guide for IV that was advertised in the manual.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

9. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    It was my first time, and my first Dragon Warrior I put any real time into since VII.
    I cheated, but I enjoyed myself! I don't think I could have hung with the NES/Gameboy version though. The cute enemy animations and rest of the graphics went a long way towards me sticking with it.
    The GBC version had the animation! The character graphics don't look as nice and it doesn't have those beautiful battle backgrounds, but aside from that it's as good or maybe even a little better than the Super Famicom version. I prefer the Famicom/GBC music and i think they might've even extended the music on the GBC version. I think i'm going to wrap this up on SFami just because i don't have a backlit GBA or GBC or GBPlayer or even a Worm Light for my GBC.
    Donk

10. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    i don't have a backlit GBA.
    T_____T