Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melf's Sega-16 Thread (Discussion & Feedback)

1. Sonic Melf's Sega-16 Thread (Discussion & Feedback)

This June marks 12 years that Sega-16 has been around, and working on it led to my book, so I'd like some discussion about my articles beyond what I read on the S-16 forums. I'm not really sure how many people outside of the forum read the site, so I'd like some feedback on the content. I'm not going to post about every article either, just the retrospectives, interviews, and investigative ones.

The first two I thought you guys might like are my article on the making of Chakan on the Genesis and an interview with pixel artist Henk Nieborg (Misadventures of Flink, Shantae 2 & 3).

Something smells like aluminum and pork in here.

3. Henk Neiborg is fantastically talented. I look forward to reading that.

4. Nieborg is one of the four pixel artists on NG: Dev Team's Gunlord, which has a Dreamcast port. As with Shantae, Andrew Bado also worked with him here.
    Good stuff, though I wish it also had made it to PSP or Vita as well.

5. The article on Ayrton Senna has been posted. It chronicles his role in developing and licensing the game. This was a really fun piece to work on. It gave me a great chance to brush up on my Portuguese (virtually all that's written on the subject comes from Brazil), and it was great to finally bring this story to English. Most articles on Sega and Senna only talk about his winning the 1993 European Grand Prix.

Sega 16 is amazing. With every article, there's behind the scenes information and a retrospective look that just wasn't there with the media we had in the '90s. Most gaming articles on the internet just gather from existing articles and end up being a re-telling of the same stories. Melf does interview questions that haven't been done before and it makes a huge difference (look at how the Chakan article shows the connections of various people contracted to work with Sega). I know I will learn something new.

There isn't an equivalent site for any other game system. Genesis/Mega Drive history ties in with a ton of other stuff at least. A lot of interesting non-Sega details pop up in features as well. I like the little things like learning who did the Mario hack on C64.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 14 Apr 2016 at 10:46 AM.

7. Thanks for the kind words! I still love writing for the site as much as I did in 2004. Once I finish my dissertation, I'll have much more time to write.

I just posted an article on the making of the Revenge of Shinobi! There's information here from the Retro Gamer article and an excellent shmuplations interview, but there's lots of new info too!

8. I just posted a preview of WaterMelon's (Pier Solar guys) new game, Paprium. It's an 80-meg beat-'em-up due this September for the Genesis! There are new screen shots and a great '90s-style video commercial.

9. Do they charge you now or in Sep?

10. I think they charge now. They should have enough copies in Sept. if you don't want to pay now. I don't recall Pier Solar selling out for any extended periods when it came out.