Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 616181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox One)

1. Yeah but he had a kitchen and some children have to work on farms and that's really not bad compared to factory labor.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Working normal hours also produces large, ambitious projects
    Yep? Not as fast. And the longer a project lives in the initial phases the more risk there is to it not materializing at all (key people leave, life changes, your competitor moved faster and ate your lunch, etc). It's weird to me how inauthentic people are willing to be with something like this just because the truth is pretty shitty.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. You're going to lose a lot more people during a project if you work them to exhaustion, but I suppose they're less likely to have 'life changes' if they have no life.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Yep? Not as fast. And the longer a project lives in the initial phases the more risk there is to it not materializing at all (key people leave, life changes, your competitor moved faster and ate your lunch, etc). It's weird to me how inauthentic people are willing to be with something like this just because the truth is pretty shitty.
    I keep hearing that EA (lol) and Ubisoft treat their employees far better than Rockstar does, and there's nothing particularly magical about Rockstar's output that convinces me that EA or Ubi couldn't deliver similarly-scoped games if they spent similar amounts of time developing them. They're pretty close with their free-roaming games already without spending eight years or whatever like Rockstar had on RDR2.

5. The attention to detail is amazing

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/e...ng-production/

6. I guess overworking them does benefit the game, more tombstones!

7. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    You're going to lose a lot more people during a project if you work them to exhaustion, but I suppose they're less likely to have 'life changes' if they have no life.
    Yea I think it's a pretty scummy practice in general. But from what I've read EA and other big projects tend to have crunch modes too. Not an excuse. When I was younger I used to love pushing to a deadline and making something notable. When I started running my own business I softened my stance because I cared about my people. But there's no denying if I was a ruthless cunt we could've done more. It is also clear to me from reading the Kotaku article that sacrifices were made that weren't REALLY worth the payoff (the cinematic auto-ride with the black bars, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I guess overworking them does benefit the game, more tombstones!
    Kind of creepy. I'm all preloaded so I'm looking forward to getting in to this on Sunday.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 26 Oct 2018 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Or
    Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Yeah but he had a kitchen and some children have to work on farms and that's really not bad compared to factory labor.
    Maybe they should have a nursery instead to deal with all the crying.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

9. Absolutely! That's the least they could do for new parents working these hours, especially breastfeeding women. Glad we could find some common ground.

10. I wish anyone saying 'quit whining and get a real job you pussies' could just do what I do as I have to do it for a week. A month. A few years. Really get an understanding for the work.

Not because I have it worse than you. Not because I think what I do is more demanding than, say, carpentry or construction (which I've done both for my grandpa and dad in the past - poorly). Just so you'd have a better understanding that this kind of work isn't as cut and dry as 'you do the thing you *LOVE* and it's *EASY* so it's not real work and you have no place to complain.'

Jobs are jobs. My dad LOVES fixing things, but the minute he has to do it on someone else's say-so for a check, it's a job. It's work. My grandpa loved to make chairs, tables, cabinets for his home - that never once meant doing it for someone else magically became easier, or he shouldn't be bothered by being on site for 12, 14, 18 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.