Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162628293031 LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox One)

1. Online launched in Beta yesterday for those who bought the Ultimate Edition. You can try it today if you played the game on the 26th, and Thursday if you played earlier than that, and then Friday is the official launch for everyone. Interested to see how it differs from the single player portion, which has been an insanely fun time suck for me. I'm currently 38% through the story and 52.6% completion. I want to say I'll 100% this but that is a huge freaking task.

2. There is so much stuff to collect it's crazy. I've put a lot of time into this for the last 2 weeks and I just hit Chapter 6, I like it a lot. It took a strangely long time for me to get comfortable with the controls, but now that I am the game really comes together. Dynomite is a lot of fun to use. I wonder why they change the way Dead Eye works twice, it should always let you manually shoot when you want.

3. I've been enjoying the hell out of it too. My only real complaint is some of the animations are really janky. Trying to skin animals or interact with people that are sitting down is a pain in the ass. Otherwise, it's great, I'll be playing this for a good long while. Some of the quests are downright hilarious. I got to kick some blowhard twins in the balls last night. I think they even gave me a dollar.

4. Online should be available for everyone now.

Tried it out last night and completed the intro which was a few missions long. It works very similar to GTAV Online, in that your weapon wheel doesn't slow down time anymore, nor can you pause. There is a quick menu (left d pad) that works the same, allowing you to move your base camp around the map and the like. When you load in Free Mode you can load right to where you left off, or choose to start (I assume randomly) within one of the five zones. You can also jump straight into race mode, or a group mode that is geared towards challenges like shootouts and various new activities. There is also a Large Group mode for up to 32 people (IIRC). All of that is easily accessed from the menu when you begin or at any time after. You create a mute character (SURPRISE!) who goes around and meets several of the folks from the story in a new capacity. The brothers you meet in chapter 3 become your first main quest guys and it seems like they'll return, and I was also pointed to the 'discouraged' teller for missions.

You start out without a horse of your own (should you not own a horse at any time you can still call a low health/stamina nag to ride) and without Dead Eye, but once you level up you can acquire that ability with some choice in how it's used. Different from story mode, which is cool. I finished just the intro and ended up at level 4, playing about an hour. You get your own camp to manage and upgrade, and that camp requires daily upkeep (currently $1 for me) and can be moved around the map for a fee. Posses work either by making a temporary one (like becoming a VIP in GTA) that is only valid during your current session, or paying $200 for a persistent posse with a dedicated base that becomes part of the game. Didn't have anyone online at the time to invite, but I can't wait to roam this gorgeous world with friends.

Dead Eye doesn't slow down time like in Story, but it did help move the crosshairs to guy's heads. I chose the option to have me and my posse deal more damage while in Dead Eye, but there were two more options you could choose, one being to regen health while in Dead Eye and I can't recall the other. The choices they made with this mode all seem to work really well. If you were enjoying the game proper then the online is going to make you very happy. If you weren't enjoying it for whatever reason, you'll know if having the option of meeting friends and randoms will elevate the experience for you.

I'm just happy I could make my character look like she's been trampled under hoof, I love making truly hideous characters in these games.

5. Finally making a big dent in the story. If it wasn’t for the slowness I’d give it a 10. The game is incredible. You absolutely need to give time to it and soak in the story. It’s mind boggling the amount of dialogue in it, even for the small things. For example I did a bounty and the guy gave himself up to show he changed and was telling his wife and son goodbye. I shot his wife because she was giving me lip and it triggered a bunch of dialogue about killing his wife. He was even screaming at the sheriff how I murdered his wife when I turned him in. That was a surreal moment for such a tiny side mission. I actually felt kinda bad. Lol.

6. Agreed that the dialogue is really strong, and very interesting how it changes depending on the situation or the morality meter. I'm trying to play as "good" as possible until I get it to 100% good, at which point I'll just rob and kill everyone who even looks at me funny, but I know there are certain events I'll miss while being good and same thing goes if I was all bad. I've interacted with just about every little stranger who's popped up but there are a few (mostly on the road) that I've missed, and one lady on the side of the road has asked me to stop several times and I always ride past, last night when I did it she was all sweet asking me to stop then as I passed she says "Well fuck you, then!" I laughed and kept going but she was still there to go help.

Kill the Legendary Buck early, the trinket you create with his horns gives you better quality animal parts forever. I wish I had known that before!

7. I’m trying to be good too. But some people are just begging to be shot. When you are riding in town say hi to people and you pick up some good points after a few.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    I’m trying to be good too. But some people are just begging to be shot.
    Does the FBI still lurk here?

9. How many hellos = one murder?

10. If it was the real word a “Hello There” to a stray dog would equal one homeless guy murder.