Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15252728293031 LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox One)

1. Seitanic.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Outstanding.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Right now this game is second to only Breath of the Wild when it comes to being fun to get lost, which is really impressive.

I have spent two or three nights in a row just wandering around looking at the landscape and hunting what animals I come across. You randomly find carvings in rocks, legendary animals, really odd pegan shit (I have a super creepy mask now), Tesla coils, crashed flying machines, all sorts of shit. You never know what you'll stumble across and I haven't had this much genuine fun exploring since BotW.
    So far I'd say I'm a bit disappointed in the game. I'm constantly wrestling with the convoluted core mechanics to get anything done and it often costs me during a lot of missions in a way that makes me feel cheated. I also don't like that some gameplay decisions seem to betray the game's attempt at realism. During bounty hunting enemies spawn at random out of shacks or towers—but why? All it does is remove the sandbox nature of the rest of the game—you can't chose to use stealth, or use your binoculars to scout ahead, or be clever in any way. You can only walk in guns blazing, hoping dead-eye shooting doesn't decay too badly. Then once the bounty is captures, it's another chore to wrestle with your character to put the captured bounty on the back of a horse before a random bad guy spawns behind the next rock or tree. IIRC that's how Red Dead 1 did it too... but I was hoping for an upgrade here. I also dislike how any major crime inevitably gives you a bounty or warrant.

It has its moments, and the world is very textured in a marvellous way. But I feel like I'm always my character is always 2 steps behind where I need him to be.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 10 Nov 2018 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. I agree. This all feels like it's unable to hold its ambition aloft under the constraints of controllers. Contextual button presses are also a constant annoyance in any fast situation.

Pretty close to just giving up on having fun with it.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. I was playing the 1st game on 360 today. I was looking for a treasure on a small cliff side trail. I get off of my horse and proceeded to uncover the buried treasure. I turn around to get on my horse and it’s gone. I look down at the river below, and I see that looks like my horse under the water. I thought that maybe I was imagining seeing the horse, so I call my horse and some other random horse shows up. I’m about get on the horse when all of the sudden it just walks right over the edge.

Would any of you be interested in loaning me a copy of the first game? I'll pay shipping, obviously.

7. Just finished the storyline from RDR2. Didn't end the way I expected.

8. Never got around to playing the first Red Dead. Figured it wouldn't hurt to start with II, since it's a prequel. This is one of the most impressive and most boring games I've ever played. These slow animations and heavy movements are killing a lot of my fun, but the visuals, music, characters and voice acting are great. I'll stick with it. The fun is likely to pick up considering I'm still early in (just finished the first train robbery).
    I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.

9. You can have Red Dead if you send me that turntable.

10. I got into a bar fight with a pinhead. GOTY.