Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 810111213141626 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox One)

1. I don't think you get games like RDR with 40 hours a week. There's a dedication to a game like this that is necessary. I agree there should be backend compensation with a game making a billion dollars like GTA5.

Adding more devs and artists doesn't provide a linear up in productivity either. There's a threshold.

So both arguments are true in my mind--these people with these jobs and also should be paid much more. Hopefully the 100 hours was only in the final few weeks in crunch mode.

2. If you find the right group of animals and pay them very well, I'm good.

A serious union that gets them real-ass health insurance and big boy salaries is all that is needed.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I don't think you get games like RDR with 40 hours a week.
    Bullshit.

There's a dedication to a game like this that is necessary. I agree there should be backend compensation with a game making a billion dollars like GTA5.
    You don't need people living at a studio day and night, and never seeing their family to make a big game. People can be dedicated at 40 hours a week.

Adding more devs and artists doesn't provide a linear up in productivity either. There's a threshold.

So both arguments are true in my mind--these people with these jobs and also should be paid much more. Hopefully the 100 hours was only in the final few weeks in crunch mode.
    It is well documented that working more than 40 - 60 hours a week actually lowers productivity. So there is no point in working people beyond that. Regardless of what you believe is true in your mind, in reality its not.

https://www.igda.org/page/crunchsixlessons
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

4. I'm aware of the over 40 hours study. I'm also not convinced the over 40 rule applies to art or media or games where it seems to be a common theme -- literally every huge new game or service like RDR or the launch of the iPhone broke the rule. Every game with the scope of RDR from GTA to The Witcher did this too.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I don't think you get games like RDR with 40 hours a week. There's a dedication to a game like this that is necessary.
    The stories we tell ourselves to avoid confronting our own exploitation and complicity in the exploitation of others are really something.

I agree there should be backend compensation with a game making a billion dollars like GTA5.
    Not a billion.

Six billion.

And that figure was from April.

6. To be fair, after deducting salaries and operating expense, the figure comes to about 5.5 billion

7. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I'm aware of the over 40 hours study. I'm also not convinced the over 40 rule applies to art or media or games where it seems to be a common theme -- literally every huge new game or service like RDR or the launch of the iPhone broke the rule. Every game with the scope of RDR from GTA to The Witcher did this too.
    It ABSOLUTELY applies to art, and media. You're lying to yourself if you think other wise. I'm saying this as an animator that has done 60 - 70 hour weeks for long stretches of time, and having a large collection of friends in animation and other art fields that have done the same. Working in art or a creative field is still work, anyone peddling other wise is a liar and or an idiot.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. Look, all I'm saying is the amount of coal and clothing you want isn't going to happen if we start taking your radical ideas about "40-hour work weeks" or "week-ends" seriously.

9. New! Gilded Age featuring Climate Change from the Devil May Cry series.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Look, all I'm saying is the amount of coal and clothing you want isn't going to happen if we start taking your radical ideas about "40-hour work weeks" or "week-ends" seriously.
    Drew over here like