Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 313151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox One)

1. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    There are some like, FOR REAL dumb guys in this thread.
    Okay, mister panic attack and quit my job!

2. That makes me smart.

Also, I am severely disappointed to know that you were not able to see that I wasn't even talking about you.

3. And it was a nervous breakdown, not a panic attack. I've not yet had one of those.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit. Plan and simple your an idiot trying to justify shitty conditions. Plenty of things have been produced that are huge and amazing with out working people to death and denying them from seeing their family to live at work. You're wrong, plain and simple and there are studies out there saying you are.
    Nah — it's hard to argue the open world ambitious games can be done on a 40-hour work week because all the evidence and reports we have from actual creative commercial successes suggest otherwise.

What I'm not saying:
    – That there aren't other ways to do this as a matter of course.
    – That it's good for the workers.
    – That the workers are paid enough for their time sacrifice.
    – That I endorse the idea of long hours in general.

It's been my experience working in tech that companies that want to make a dent in the GDP of an industry or literally put people on Mars need dedication beyond the norm. People get really mad about a statement like that but it's mostly a hard truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    No one in any industry should be working 100-hour work weeks. If you think 100 hour work weeks are fueled from individual passion and because the developer cares sooooooooo much about its perfect happyfuntime game, I have a bridge I can sell you for a nominal fee.
    Never said any of that. Hey if you don't want games with the scope of Red Dead Redemption because they're unethical that's fine — don't buy them. But they're generally very fun and I'm not going to pretend it doesn't work or that we should wholesale kibosh ambitious projects.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 24 Oct 2018 at 11:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. I haven't ever bought a rockstar game and I don't plan to start lol

Dedication makes sense, pet projects make sense. The issue is with the companies, who make a massive amount of profit and expect the employee culture to reflect the myth of labor law busting virtue, continuing to endorse an environment that pushes people beyond the acceptable boundaries and ON TOP of that, not giving people fair compensation or treatment for their work. If you want to get together with a group of friends and you all decide that 100 hour work week makes sense, fine. Having a CEO/supervisor/etc dictate a workplace environment that is unhealthy and unreasonable for most people to succeed in is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

6. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I've always assumed that the mo-cap stuff was done near the beginning and then all of the artistic work was done after that. Changing the story midway through the project is a waste of man power and other resources.

I do know in the case of Star Wars Battlefront 2, that the developers had to pretty much remove the pay to win system for online (within a month of the online beta) because the media was all over them about it. I'm pretty sure in that case, it was the programmers that were under serious crunch time to change the whole reward system before launch.
    No that's just not how its done. Plus not everything is mocapped. A lot of stuff is done in parallel, some times you don't even know the kind of assets you need to certain functions are further along. Or maybe you planned on something working one way and 8 months in, it just isn't working and a new approach that requires new assets is needed.

Stories change midway through projects all the time, its just the nature of things. What worked in a storyboard pitch might not work as well once its animated and cut into the movie. Hell I worked on a shot for a film for over a month, that the day after I got it approved got cut from the film. That's just how this shit goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Nah — it's hard to argue the open world ambitious games can be done on a 40-hour work week because all the evidence and reports we have from actual creative commercial successes suggest otherwise.
    Except you're wrong. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about and honestly you just sound like a cunt that wants an excuse for making their people work ridiculous hours. We have more studies than are needed to prove that working way over 40 hours a week is detrimental to productivity. Plus no, I know a few people working for Ubisoft and they don't do the 100 hour work week thing, a lot of European based companies don't. They may push 50 - 60 hour weeks but nothing in excess like this, and they've released quite a few ambitious open world games.

What I'm not saying:
    – That there aren't other ways to do this as a matter of course.
    – That it's good for the workers.
    – That the workers are paid enough for their time sacrifice.
    – That I endorse the idea of long hours in general.

It's been my experience working in tech that companies that want to make a dent in the GDP of an industry or literally put people on Mars need dedication beyond the norm. People get really mad about a statement like that but it's mostly a hard truth.

Never said any of that. Hey if you don't want games with the scope of Red Dead Redemption because they're unethical that's fine — don't buy them. But they're generally very fun and I'm not going to pretend it doesn't work or that we should wholesale kibosh ambitious projects.
    None of what you're saying is true or accurate. Plenty of large scale ambitious projects have come out and been successful with out forcing people to work 100 hours. But please ignore all of that to keep spouting your nonesense.

You're just making excuses to be ok with exploitative working conditions to have things you like.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

7. Can we get back to talking about horse balls?

8. Those jerks a JPL only work 40 hours a week. No wonder we haven't gotten to mars yet.

Depriving yourself of sleep shortens your lifespan, no? Selling your time, while shortening your life, to make money for someone else is as gross as it gets. I can't believe even the chodeiest of chodes would defend such ridiculous horseshit.

10. @People defending unreasonable hours and working conditions IMG_1460.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread