Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Hearts Unchained X is a Stupid Mobile Game and I Can't Stop Playing It

1. Kingdom Hearts Unchained X is a Stupid Mobile Game and I Can't Stop Playing It

Sins this game commits:
    1) Mobile freemium game with "Stamina" and Inventory Limits
    2) Typical "Rock-Paper-Scissors" balance system
    3) Port of a damned browser game...
    4) ...that's based on Chain of Fucking Memories

Problem: I have been obsessed with it. Somehow this is actually enjoyable.

Is it because Square cleaned up and streamlined the myriad systems you'd typically find in a mobile game to the point where they no longer seem like a burden? Maybe it's because the turn-based combat is quick and the focus on finishing every fight in a single turn actually gives decisions some weight? Could the usual, mobile game launch freebie avalanche have been the sweetest of Kool-Aids?

Maybe! I think it's mostly because the game's story isn't as big of a priority as the dumb "plot" of the other Kingdom Hearts games, though. Yup. That's it.

There's also some slightly multiplayer nonsense going on. People in the same Union and Party can fight bosses together if they happen to be on at the same time. Parties also get ranked every week and they slap some bonus item nicotine patches on your arm before kicking you back into the game. Fun!

You could always join the Unicornis Union (lol) and find my party "REAL LIFE" for tons of help. You know me: playing this dumb game way too often...

2. Is it because Square cleaned up and streamlined the myriad systems you'd typically find in a mobile game to the point where they no longer seem like a burden?
    It's just because it's at launch. Most of them start off this simple and then introduce new concepts as power creep starts settling in after a couple months. The typical team/item rank/stars/same unit sacrifice stuff is all in there, but right now it lacks any thought to a meta because it's so easy. I'm guessing the raid bosses and limited time special dungeons will increase in number, difficulty, and variety after a few months to where everything will need its own specialized keyblade with high ranking characters equipped to get the good stuff.

I do like how they set up keyblades, although I feel they're wasting the non-KH characters by just having them as equippable items that don't even really appear in gameplay. It makes the collection aspect feel more pointless than normal, so I hope they find a way to better display the special attacks. This is partly why it hasn't gotten as much playtime as my usual phone games (plus most of them recently got big updates so there's a lot of competition for attention). The music, however, is spot on and pretty much makes the game for me.

I'm already Unicornis (god those teams are so dumb) so I'll look for you later.

3. I've played like five mobile games ever, they're all garbage eventually and usually right out the gate.

Downloading this now. Lord help me.

4. I'm level 100 now.

The Omega raid bosses that pop up during the special event give you like a level worth of experience per attempt on them. Last night for like four hours I just did the mission that triggers it over and over and helped with each one someone in my party started and I went from 50ish to 100.

Pretty fucking easy.

5. Seems impossible for me to find your team unless a Facebook invite would do it.

I haven't played this much due to the other like six games in my rotation (and rerolling Granblue accounts), but I've gotten a Minnie, Stitch, and Cloud so I'm doing pretty well.

6. This shit won't let me pick a medal and hit start.

7. Have you been rolling single color keyblades? It's been working well for me. My green blade has a beefed-out Peter Pan (lol) that wrecks house.

8. Is Peter good in the long run? I have a Sora that does great but I know that for damage per bar Stitch, black coat Riku, and Cloud outpace most everyone.

9. Black coat Riku is p great. I've got that guy, too. Peter's just good for high stats, I think. I have not been lucky enough to nab one of the two Clouds, sadly. Cherish his brooding.