Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 839395969798 LastLast

Thread: 2016 NFL Season

1. In the year after the Superbowl appearance when they tried to turn him into a pocket passer he injured his foot early in the season and was never able to completely recover from it that year, so when he could have burned teams for leaving an opening to double team he couldn't. That started people questioning if he was any good, which started a vicious cycle. After that the team just sucked, new coaches and new receivers. I think he could be more like Steve Young, a pocket passer who would go if you gave him a chance.

2. More like Vince Young. That's an insult to what Steve Young accomplished at BYU and the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5HeRVH1hhc
    Last edited by gamevet; 07 Aug 2017 at 11:38 PM.

3. I am so sick of talking about this guy but... I don't think he's good enough in the pocket, and at 29 he's probably not going to get better. I think the idea of him becoming Steve Young is laughable, frankly.

Last year he was a serviceable stiff on a bad team, which usually qualifies you for backup work or another year as the starter on a bad team. But the 49ers wanted to start fresh with good reason.

The closest counterpart I can think of is Michael Vick and he got a job as a backup quickly. he also started shortly thereafter, so I think any job he got would put the starter on the hot seat. So that eliminates a lot of teams. Broncos don't want to live the political QB nightmare again. Browns and Jets don't actually want to get any better this year. Rams still have a few years of Goff letting them down. Texans are... in Texas. Vikings, well, Sam Bradford did ok last year. Who am I missing?

The real problem is that he started dating some lunatic SJW, turned into one himself and lost a ton of weight.

4. I didn't say become Steve Young. I said like Steve Young. Fuck, you think I don't know who he was?

Anyway, yes he is being blackballed. That's the point. He should be on a team by now. As a third stringer or some shit at worst. Unless he's decided that he wants an unreasonable amount of money.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    I didn't say become Steve Young. I said like Steve Young. Fuck, you think I don't know who he was?

Anyway, yes he is being blackballed. That's the point. He should be on a team by now. As a third stringer or some shit at worst. Unless he's decided that he wants an unreasonable amount of money.
    I think that the right comparison would be more in line with Russel Wilson. He doesn't light up the charts with passing yards, but he does enough to throw off an opponents defense.

Yeah, I think a team like Houston would be a great fit for him. And like you say, I do believe he's sort of screwed himself by his actions.

6. Actions have consequences. Getting paid millions of dollars throwing balls around is a privilege and not a right. He expressed himself, and now owners are reacting to that. His talent has to overcome his reputation, but his reputation is bigger than what he can do on the football field. The fact that ESPN keep talking about him probably makes him less desirable.

7. 2016 NFL Season

ESPN probably has turned him into more of a distraction yes. And they've also cherry picked stats to make him look like the new Joe Montana. We all saw that guy on the field.

Not to mention all the work ESPN put in last year to turn it into a huge story. I remember them covering every game with a "who sat for the anthem" for the first few weeks of the year. I wonder what would have happened had ESPN not went all in.

All signs point to the Texans being really high on DeShaun Watson and want to get him under center ASAP. Plus... it's Texas. No team there would sign him for the same reason Miami did not.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 08 Aug 2017 at 10:43 AM.

8. Yeah I blame ESPN for a lot of this and some of Tebow. I honestly don't think if Kaep was signed, it'd be a big issue in the media. Yeah there would be a couple articles but then it's gone. Don't think it's the same Tebow and his followers. Kaep only temporarily has them.

I just don't like the whole thing about not having a job when he's clearly better qualified than a lot of people who do and won't get better. He was decent on a trash team last year, they had zero weapons. And comparing him to the Ray Rices etc (which people against him do) is absurd. Not only is he better than Rice at the time, he also didn't commit a crime. But I don't know what he's asking for. I just doubt it's all that much at this point, and that's enough for me.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 08 Aug 2017 at 11:17 AM.

9. 2016 NFL Season

But who is he better than? I've heard Flacco get bandied about. That guy probably isn't very good anymore.. yet Flacco is the highest paid player in the NFL right now, thanks in part to that Super Bowl where he beat Kaepernick. So Flacco has the job unquestionably. They're not gonna sign a player of Kaepernick's level behind him, teams don't really do that.

Plus CK's girlfriend posted a picture comparing Ray Lewis and Bisciotti to slave and slave master, I am sure that went over well.

I wonder on some level if this guy and his girlfriend even wants to play.

10. So is he too good to be a backup though? "Better not sign this guy he might be too good" vs "Can't sign him because he kneeled and ESPN wrote 500 articles about him". Although the whole thing funny because i swore a few years ago he wore a Dolphins hat which I thought was ridiculous.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 08 Aug 2017 at 11:28 AM.