Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Kids and Games #We'reGettingOld

Yeah I really want to focus on games we can play together so it turns into bonding time. Gaming in general is my number 1 hobby, so I want to be able to share it with her. It has brought me together with many wonderful people and it always provides a great break from the craziness of the world. You know, I also really love to read and write, and get heavy into music, which I am sharing with her as well, but gaming is my number 1 so I really want to try to get her into it, even though I wouldn't say games have had an overall positive effect on my life. I wouldn't trade them for anything.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

2. My 12-year-old loves Pokemon and similar 3DS games, but she and I have had some great experiences with Monster Hunter 3. She's not into the classics too much, though. Her little sister will play anything, and she was enjoying my Atari 7800 a few weeks back. She loves platformers on the Genesis, too!

Here's a pic of her rocking Atari 2600 Centipede!

3. Word, my nephews have one of those Atari ROM things you buy at Walgreens and love those games.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Here's a pic of her rocking Atari 2600 Centipede!
    Tell her to finish Indiana Jones or no dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I don't want to seem like one of those old fuddy duddies that says kids these days have no attention spans, because I don't think that's the problem.
    But I do think kids are more bombarded with entertainment and the many gateways to it, so if something doesn't click right away there's no incentive to keep plugging away at it. They'll just move on to the next thing.
    When we were kids, manipulating something on the TV was still relatively novel. So the idea that we were making Sonic move really fast or whatever was compelling enough that we stuck with it. It's old hat to these kids. It's not uncommon for kids to run up to the arcades or monitors I have on display and then get mad that touching the screen doesn't do anything.
    I think everyone has always been like that. Its a mixture of the path of least resistance, habits, and what is available.

If you have 3 fun things to do, and one of them is really easy, you'll probably do that one more, and it will then become a habit.

I've seen this between US engineering students and foreign. There seems to be more foreign now and more of them are sticking around to get their masters and phd than american students do. Why is that? Could it be that foreign students had fewer things to goof off with as children and have become better students? Or maybe their goof off activities were reading about science and tech?

This could also explain why there are fewer ground breaking musicians. Games were easier for us, so fewer people picked up an instrument because it was harder to learn to play a song than beat the first level of Mario

I'm sure everyone on this forum has joked that they could be a genius by now if they put the same effort into learning that they put into games.

6. I have said that, but the reality is I probably would have found an even more destructive outlet for my compulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I'm sure everyone on this forum has joked that they could be a genius by now if they put the same effort into learning that they put into games.
    Genius is nature not nurture.

8. Won't front there are times when I wish my parents didn't get me a NES.

9. I didn't have any games at home, other than a Pong clone and some bogus LED games, until I was twelve years old. I love playing video games, but I'm kind of glad that I had to do other things up to that point.