Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Kids and Games #We'reGettingOld

Your Kids and Games #We'reGettingOld

Ok guys,

My daughter is now 2 1/4 years old. She really likes playing touchscreen games like puzzles and letter recognition and basic reading apps.
    I can't wait to get her into controller based games but she is having a hard time using both hands at once still, so we just mess around sometimes.
    We also play connect four, though she doesn't quite grasp that she needs to get four in a row yet, and we play candy land.

A lot of us have kids now so I figured we could just have a general thread about gaming with our kids. Any topic is open:
    What games have you found that your kids really like?
    How do you manage game time?
    What are some of your best experiences gaming with your kids?
    How have you found success teaching games to your kids?

Etc. etc. etc.

We really like the Endless family of games: made by Originator, they are pretty slickly designed, super cute, and really have helped Brie learn her letters and numbers. There are two issues though: there are buttons on the edges that if pressed pull you out of the game, and it doesn't react well if you have multiple touch contact points happening at the same time. Until your kid figures it out you need to pretty much supervise.

OK GO!
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

2. Sonic 2. There's only one button and player 2 never dies.

This topic already exists and had some good replies, but I'm having a hell of a time finding it.

Do you ever reuse threads?

I thought this topic already existed. If anyone can find it just merge and update huh?

Sonic 2 is ok. Mario galaxy is kind of like that too, but when there are no stakes it doesn't really engage.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 06 May 2016 at 11:26 AM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. My 3 year old absolutely loves Little Big Planet and Pikmin. He has no idea what he's doing, but theres enough going on to keep his attention for a little while at least. Sadly, I haven't found anything yet that we can play together, his attention span is too low to sit down and actually learn a game. On the other hand, my 8 year old is a FIEND, and it's a daily battle to get him do anything other than videogames. I have a hard time getting mad about it, because I was the same at that age, and can't fault the kid for wanting to play. But managing his game time is a major headache, and I have no idea how to tackle it. We play the hell out of Rocket League and Smash Bros together, and he begs me to play AutismCraft too, but I can not handle that shit.

Reduce, reuse, recycle your threads.

On topic, my 4 year old has recently become interested in playing real video games, although she's not very good at them. She actually started out with Final Fight of all games. It's too hard for her, of course, but I have been playing some other co-op beatemups with her, usually with me doing all the work. The current favorite is the TMNT arcade game.

On her own, I gave her one of my extra GBA SPs and a Dora game that came recommended for kids that age. It's not a great game but she enjoys it and it gives her a foundation for how to use physical controls. Lately, she has become interested in Sonic, but the classic games are too hard. Sonic Advance, on the other hand, is pretty easy. She can't beat Robotnik by herself but she can get through most of the stages just fine.

She also enjoys portable RPGs. She can't actually play them, but she likes just walking around town, or walking around in the field and handing me the Gameboy when there's a fight.

Yeah, kids now have a lot of trouble with hard games. A lot of the parents at work seem to complain about.it.

9. I don't want to seem like one of those old fuddy duddies that says kids these days have no attention spans, because I don't think that's the problem.
    But I do think kids are more bombarded with entertainment and the many gateways to it, so if something doesn't click right away there's no incentive to keep plugging away at it. They'll just move on to the next thing.
    When we were kids, manipulating something on the TV was still relatively novel. So the idea that we were making Sonic move really fast or whatever was compelling enough that we stuck with it. It's old hat to these kids. It's not uncommon for kids to run up to the arcades or monitors I have on display and then get mad that touching the screen doesn't do anything.

10. I am going through the various 80's arcade co-op games with my daughter (Forgotten Worlds, Smash TV, etc). I consider it father/daughter bonding time more so than videogame training. She really enjoys it even though she doesn't do too well.