Thread: Home Improvement Thread

1. Home Improvement Thread

I bought an old lamp and the shade looks like this:

Click for full size

What do?

I'm thinking loop some thin wire around the hoop and the center piece and tighten it until the arm can sit where it once was. Then apply some JB weld and let it sit. Any better ideas?

Spot weld it back in place with your semen.

3. Attached Images Attached Images

You may be able to get away with just some Gorilla Glue. I guess it depends how nice the shade is.

5. I would just crimp a panduit fork on the vertical piece and bend the forks around the ring, but if you don't have access to those tools, then I think some sort of strong epoxy would be best. You also might be able to just slide some clear shrink tube around the vertical piece and then tie it to the ring after shrinking it.

6. I bought a couple of small clamps, filed the flat piece of the arm and put some JB Weld on it for 24 hours. As soon as I removed the clamps it popped back off.

Either it removed some of the metal on the hoop, or it never adhered to that portion at all. Oh well. I rewired it and hung it up. I bent the arm up slightly and you can't see it when the lamp is hanging. Maybe at some point if I'm feeling fancy I'll take it somewhere and have them spot weld it.

7. Your rug looks like you skinned Animal from the Muppets.

8. It really does. It sheds like I'm living with Clifford the big red dog.

Click for full size
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Have you tried soldering that broken piece on the lamp shade?

10. Nope. I've given up and moved on to the next mini obsession.

I don't want to set my apartment on fire

yet