Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 810111213141626 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

No one can answer that objectively, so do the right thing and don't give Facebook a dime. You can use a gamepad with the Vive too.

edit: Actually, the one that will probably have the best games in the near future is the PSVR, because Sony has a lot more clout to throw behind it on their own.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 13 Jun 2016 at 10:34 PM.

2. Not even an hour after that post, Sony went full bore with PSVR. But I get the feeling that I would have to upgrade to the Super PS4 to get the best experience, and I know I'm gonna upgrade to the GTX 1080 over the next year--I didn't take the plunge with PC gaming just to backpedal a year later. But like you said, Sony might win out with availability of games.

This is infuriatingly complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

3. It is complicated.

As shitty as some of Oculus' moves are (though tbh the only one that really bugs me is the DRM buffing), the Rift runs all seated VR PC games (including SteamVR ones) and, once the Touch comes out, it should run all standing/room-scale ones as well. Steam integration in Rift+Touch should be no different than using the Vive: you run SteamVR, put on your headset, grab the Touch, and see all the same shit. And even right now, without Touch, you can still use the same SteamVR interface with a Rift+gamepad.

I get that the idea of motion controls is pretty offputting to a lot of people, but the Vive's are pretty fucking incredible in-person and available right now. If you could free up the space for room-scale (or even just clear out a standing space), it's at least worth not writing off imo. And even after Touch comes out, I think the Vive miiiiight still have some room-scale benefits if only because it will be the only setup that has supported it on both hardware and software sides since day one.

buuuut PSVR will probably have the big-budget games and Japan, as E3 just demonstrated.

this post is probably not very helpful
    Last edited by Tain; 13 Jun 2016 at 11:37 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

When end you get right down to it, I want the one with the best game library (current, and for the foreseeable future). Which one is that?
    Honestly? Probably PSVR. Sony is putting a lot of muscle and resources behind PSVR and it might not have the largest library but it does seem to have a higher proportion of interesting, quality-looking titles.

Other than that, Rift obviously has a big edge over Vive's library because it runs games for both platforms.

5. So revive is no more?

6. It might be, but the future's kind of uncertain now that Oculus has added a hardware check and Denuvo used in certain games happens to make that check harder to circumvent (I think).
    Last edited by Tain; 14 Jun 2016 at 12:11 AM.

I should have mentioned it before, but you may also want to look into Razer's $400 headset.

On today's episode of Oculus is a bunch of douchebags, they offered "a shitton of money" for exclusivity of Serious Sam VR, but Croteam declined "in contempt for the concept." I don't even care about Serious Sam, but I'm going to buy it now to thank them.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    This is infuriatingly complicated.
    Just wait a year or two and let the market shakes itself out. By then, there will be a library of good games and new experiences that are worthy. It is still early IMO.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    On today's episode of Oculus is a bunch of douchebags, they offered "a shitton of money" for exclusivity of Serious Sam VR, but Croteam declined "in contempt for the concept." I don't even care about Serious Sam, but I'm going to buy it now to thank them.
    They overstated. Apparently the deal was only for timed exclusivity, and that this is the case with all games that they aren't wholly funding and self-publishing. Also even on the self-published games, they allow developers to keep their IP. Not so evil, really, better than Sony or MS's deals.