Page 15 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. I sent Oculus a clip of my very unannounced and unfinished game and the dude liked it enough to send me development Touch controllers. Which was insanely legitimizing and satisfying! They came in yesterday. I'm not sure exactly what I can and can't say, as there was an NDA involved, but I'll try.

They're very nice, comfortable, and light. I only tried one tiny demo so far that fully used the functionality, and in it the gesture stuff is pretty neat. I really like the analog grip "triggers" and I greatly prefer the analog sticks to the Vive's touchpad. Out of curiosity I tried SteamVR with a single tracker, playing Space Pirate Trainer and The Lab after briefly configuring standing-scale, and it worked way better than I expected. Button mappings were natural, everything lined up, and timewarp (I suspect) even made it feel smoother than on the Vive! Kudos to Valve for quick and great Touch support, and having a good single-tracker experience helped calm some of my worries about PSVR.

It's hard for me to definitively compare tracking quality between the two, as I haven't set up Oculus trackers in the same positions as my Vive base stations and I haven't tried a single base station configuration. I probably won't be messing with this stuff any time soon, either. What I can say is that it's surprisingly good in the forward-facing configuration, even with a single sensor, and overall the two are probably indistinguishable tracking-wise if positioned the same.
    Last edited by Tain; 21 Jun 2016 at 03:52 PM.

Congrats, Tain. That's quite an accomplishment, even if you are working with douchebags.

3. lol, thanks. No agreements have been made when it comes to the game itself and I have no plans on any degree of exclusivity, fwiw.

4. In other words back up the money truck

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    I sent Oculus a clip of my very unannounced and unfinished game and the dude liked it enough to send me development Touch controllers. Which was insanely legitimizing and satisfying!
    Congratulations! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you get up to with those things.

6. I don't know what it is about Titans of Space but I find the super-huge objects really hard to take. It's just an image on screen, sure, but something about the mass and scale of the suns really gets to me. I wish I could explain it better but I had to take the headset off and just watch the action mirrored on the PC screen for a few of the close-ups.

7. Oculus Home sale. Almost everything seems to be on sale for 20-50% off except the newest stuff.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 23 Jun 2016 at 10:15 PM.

8. Weird. I didn't realize Darknet isn't on Steam yet. The only other game on there I'd have looked at, The Climb, is not only not on sale but I'm willing to bet its sale price wouldn't have been the $10-ish the title seems to be worth.

9. I got Blaze Rush and Omega Agent because they were cheap. Both seem fun.

10. Omega Agent actually does look tempting, as does Vektron Revenge. I'm surprised Omega Agent isn't on the Steam summer sale.
    Last edited by James; 23 Jun 2016 at 11:52 PM.