Page 25 of 84 FirstFirst ... 112123242526272939 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I'm sure there will be some stupid shit but it helps to have a platform holder push it. DriveClub VR, Battlezone, Rez, etc.

It'll all come around eventually but right now I can see why someone would be more into PSVR. The only cool novel PC VR game I've seen is that Insomniac one.

Edit: and Eve Valkyrie maybe.
    Battlezone is coming to Rift as well.

There's some other cool stuff, though, they just don't have the same hype/marketing. The Assembly, Chronos, even Lucky's Tale is pretty great. Obduction also looks awesome. Wilson's Heart is probably the one I'm most looking forward to.

2. Is Luckey's Tale actually great or just great for VR today?

3. I played it for a few levels, it seemed inoffensive enough. But "great" seems to be a stretch.

I'll probably go back to it.

I am looking most forward to Driveclub though, evne on an inferior platform.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Is Luckey's Tale actually great or just great for VR today?
    I mean VR gives it some added appeal for sure, but yeah, it's a for real well-designed old-school throwback platformer that lets you sit down inside its world.

It's short-ish (maybe 3-4 hours for a straight-through run), and the characters and world are pretty generic, but 3D platformers are scarce enough these days that it can still stand out.

5. I tried the Oculus Minecraft free trial last night. I don't care for Minecraft, but it seemed like a good implementation. Has a few nice touches and a level of polish that the Vive mod doesn't quite reach.

My big question, after playing that back-to-back with Eve: do any (either) of you Rift-owning dudes actually find Minecraft's "immersive mode" locomotion less comfortable than Eve? I honestly have a hard time believing that anyone could have issues with Minecraft's locomotion and be fine with Eve's, which goes against common consensus that first person analog stick movement schemes are not worth pursuing yet artificial locomotion is fine as long as you're in a cockpit.
    Last edited by Tain; 26 Aug 2016 at 11:37 AM.

6. I keep forgetting to play Eve. I've fired it up for maybe 5 minutes so far, and then got dragged away from the PC and never got back to the game. Minecraft's solution to VR sickness isn't my favorite idea but it is an effective one, at least for me. The jerkiness of the turning is annoying but I was able to play for over an hour without feeling sick. Also, I used mouse/keyboard because PC.

7. Tried Steel Combat last night. It's kinda neat if only to see what a polished Japanese arcade game built for VR is like. You can even play it with an arcade stick, lol. It's bare, but it has some interesting mechanical twists going on (mechs have a ranged mode with ammo allowing them to shoot across the circular arena, round loser gets to re-size the arena) and it's pretty.

Hard to have such little in the way of single player options when your playerbase is so tiny though.

I'm hoping to try Onward this weekend, a Vive multiplayer FPS, and I'm also starting up Edge of Nowhere (seems really cool from the first few minutes).

8. (for those who also had no idea what game he was talking about)

9. I was hoping for a 3D field like Virtual On, a 2D fighter is kind of disappointing.

10. Onward rules: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...m?t=1468077598

It's janky as shit (game says Unity Personal Edition on bootup and I'm sure these are asset store assets), but it's a functional VR 4v4 military FPS. It uses artificial locomotion instead of teleportation, handled in a way that keeps discomfort really low (it's a nonissue for me and many others). The gun-related mechanics are pretty advanced: you get that detailed VR aiming you'll see in any Vive game with a gun (try not to shake, actually hold the gun a certain way to look down iron sights, etc), but you can use your second hand to minimize recoil, you have to manually eject and load clips, you have to chamber bullets, etc. Voice chat is all positional (including enemies), but if you have a free hand you can use the comms on your left shoulder. If you want a map view, you need a free hand to grab the tablet behind your head. And obviously you take cover and go prone and shit by doing all those motions in real life.

It's ugly and crashes a bunch but I can't wait to get back to it.