Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. I have no want for this tech, but it's undoubtedly part of the future.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Click for full size

Oculus Touch devkits are going out and that box looks an awful lot like the Rift retail box, hopefully that means they'll actually be released soon.

3. Yeah, clearly the devkits are meant as a dry run of final hardware for quick turnaround. What that says about actual release timing is anyone's guess though, given Oculus' supply problems.

4. Wasn't the problem with the Rift the lenses? Hopefully the controllers don't need quite so specialized hardware. They're really nice but I don't think they're quite so high-end as the headset itself.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    On the next episode of "Rich Gamer / Poor Gamer"...
    That's what this feels like to me. I have always loved the idea of VR. The technology wasn't ready 20 years ago but I expected it to come back. I'm just hoping for some good in store displays at this point. I can't justify the current costs of buying.

6. I expect that to change just as quickly as it did for smartphones, though. Just as the iPhone was a rich kid's accessory for maybe two years, but by 5 years in you'd be hard pressed to find someone who couldn't afford some kind of similar touchscreen smartphone.

7. Rudimentary VR is already available on many smartphones. I don't think we'll have to wait very long for mainstream pricing on Vive or OR.

8. Can't forget PSVR, either. Still expensive, but $400ish on top of a PS4 is notably cheaper than $600-$800 on top of a beefy PC. It'll probably get larger-profile games up front, too.

I made an initial Vive controller implementation in my game last night and it was pretty exciting, but unfortunately I'm seeing significantly worse performance in the Vive than in the Rift. I need to dig in and get real numbers to see how much of the smoothness I get in the Rift is due to timewarp, because if the two VR modes are actually creating a similar number of real frames, holy shit timewarp is magic.

9. PSVR seems a lot more limited, maybe? I suspect a lot of PC games are going to see compatibility hacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. I don't know if it's a lot more limited. It's probably roughly commensurate with the price. PSVR really is a nice thing.