Page 30 of 84 FirstFirst ... 162628293031323444 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Polytronic's action also has the consequence that I won't be playing SuperHyperCube, but that's because I've got a Rift. If I could get my $600 back to put towards a Vive I'd strongly consider it. The fallout hasn't even started yet, though, so it would be silly to do anything at the moment outside of grumble about it on the internet.
    Rift doesn't need native support. It'll play SteamVR games, but Oculus won't get any money from that.

So that's kind of what I'm getting at. Oculus doesn't even really make money on hardware, so I'm just going to vote with my wallet and buy my Rift games on Steam.

2. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Something in the phrasing just sounds wrong. I think I'll back off from judgement for a bit until there's better confirmation than the original article.

-edit- Seriously, who the fuck says "jolly"?
    So Palmer issued a statement, but it's a weird one.
    I am deeply sorry that my actions are negatively impacting the perception of Oculus and its partners.The recent news stories about me do not accurately represent my views.

Here’s more background: I contributed $10,000 to Nimble America because I thought the organization had fresh ideas on how to communicate with young voters through the use of several billboards. I am a libertarian who has publicly supported Ron Paul and Gary Johnson in the past, and I plan on voting for Gary in this election as well.

I am committed to the principles of fair play and equal treatment. I did not write the "NimbleRichMan" posts, nor did I delete the account. Reports that I am a founder or employee of Nimble America are false. I don’t have any plans to donate beyond what I have already given to Nimble America.

Still, my actions were my own and do not represent Oculus. I’m sorry for the impact my actions are having on the community.
    So basically he's saying that the single piece of information they used to tie him to this whole mess (that he is NimbleRichMan) is false yet, by some stroke of coincidence, he actually has financially backed this organization. That reeks of bullshit to me, personally. But who knows. Also worth noting, Luckey's twitter likes show a lot of pro-Trump stuff, and absolutely nothing about Gary Johnson. Also his girlfriend posts nothing but GamerGate-y anti-feminist and reactionary bullshit.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 24 Sep 2016 at 12:00 AM.

3. He also quotes/likes a lot of Jill Stein. I'm willing to buy the "not NimbleRichMan" line because whoever it is sounds so completely unlike him. On the other hand, he fucked up really badly and acts exactly like you'd expect a "24-year-old who got too much money too quickly while living his dream"-type of person would.

Oh, god, I just looked at the original Facebook post. I'm having a hard time buying that a Libertarian was born with that middle name- "Palmer Freeman Luckey". The douchiness just comes off it in waves.
    Last edited by James; 24 Sep 2016 at 12:14 AM.

4. The fact that it was only $10,000 (apparently the actual number was $9,333 or something odd) makes me feel better more than anything else. That's on a scale of who gives a shit.

I did notice in the original NimbleRichMan post he said that he encouraged Donald to run last election cycle as well, which seems pretty unlikely given that he was still been months away from even his Kickstarter success at that time.

The author of the original article posted screenshots of Palmer's emails talking about making a post from that account (though it seems like he is only specifying one post and saying he didn't create the account). It's possible NimbleRichMan is basically Sushi-X and multiple people use the account.

5. So Google has played its hand now, and we have Daydream.

It doesn't look like a huge evolutionary step up from what Samsung has done with Oculus, but the fact that the hardware and OS are optimized for VR is likely to make a big difference on performance. The very few realtime 3D apps they showed (Fantastic Beasts, GunJack 2) look very graphically impressive for mobile VR, but Google spent way too much time talking about 360 video (frankly useless, unless you find a way to make it like 8k+ resolution), and virtual theaters. The headset itself is interesting. Like the rift, it's made of breathable fabric, but unlike the Rift the whole thing is soft and reportedly very light.

The controller is a nice plus over Gear VR. It looks like the Oculus remote, but it has motion controls. This doesn't seem like it'll be capable of real hand tracking, more like Wiimote waggle and gestures, but nonetheless a piece that was missing from GearVR.

Oculus has their event tomorrow and I'd be surprised if we don't hear about Gear VR2. If Oculus has solved inside-out positional tracking, as we know they've been trying to, then I doubt they have anything to fear from Google.

6. Didn't Samsung just release a new Gear for their explodey phones?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Didn't Samsung just release a new Gear for their explodey phones?
    Someone is going to get their face blown off for sure.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Didn't Samsung just release a new Gear for their explodey phones?
    A revision that's compatible with the new plug, but not a meaningful upgrade.

9. PSVR reviews coming out:

Not at all surprised to hear about the tracking being the worst of the three. Move isn't really 1:1, and it's gonna be weird to try that out after so much Vive/Touch. Small headset tracking cone, too.

At least everything else about the headset sounds nice.
    Last edited by Tain; 05 Oct 2016 at 01:21 PM.

10. I think I'm going to pass. I still have to play regular Driveclub let alone VR cut-down Driveclub. VR is not preventing me from playing it.

I don't see much about the rest of the lineup so far. People keep saying "best games!" but then...no games

Or am I missing something?