Page 31 of 84 FirstFirst ... 172729303132333545 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Rez will be neat. Rigs looks solid. SuperHyperCube, Robinson, Eagle Flight, and Battlezone all look good (I loved the Battlezone demo) but they're eventually coming to PC.

2. I did forget about BZ, true.

3. Everything I'm reading about the performance of PSVR is making it sound like a hard pass
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. Everything I'm hearing about it makes it an Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ezpass.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	79535

Stupid Forza has me looking a TVs I don't need and can't afford.

5. The weird thing is that, over at the Llamsoft forums, the tech half is completely taken aback by the reviews. Giles has been working with the hardware through multiple iterations and swears Sony did something pure magic to make PS VR so nice, and it he's got a CV-1 Rift they're developing on in parallel for comparison. There's definitely something weird happening somewhere. Maybe Sony did a last-second change of some sort? I wish I could go hands-on with the PS VR to test for myself.

6. I'll have to see for myself but what I am hearing is that it's much more comfortable to wear, has less of a screen door effect on the pixels but has a much lower resolution (the latter, to me, is probably pretty bad when it comes to racers because fast moving + low res = hard to see anything past your own face)

7. I have about a week to cancel my preorder, and I just don't know. I don't have any of the other headsets, so how it racks and stacks compared to the competition doesn't mean a lot. My biggest concern is Sony's habit of abandoning hardware. If I shell out $500 just to play some Kinectimals-league bullshit and Sony drops support after a year, I won't be a happy camper.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

8. Though I think VR is here to stay, Sony's track record...

9. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Everything I'm reading about the performance of PSVR is making it sound like a hard pass
    If you don't have one of the others or aren't a PC gamer, I think it's a great option. The Tested review is dead on that it's really not suited for room-scale. It's for sitting and standing games, mostly 180-degree, but there's a lot of interesting things you can do within that. Room scale is not the be-all-end-all.

I think Sony's industrial design is hard to beat. It's by far the most comfortable, and has the clearest, brightest image, even if it's a little lower resolution. It does a lot right.

I went with Rift and I can't really justify the expense of another system, but had I not had my PC, I'd be pretty happy with PSVR.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The weird thing is that, over at the Llamsoft forums, the tech half is completely taken aback by the reviews. Giles has been working with the hardware through multiple iterations and swears Sony did something pure magic to make PS VR so nice, and it he's got a CV-1 Rift they're developing on in parallel for comparison. There's definitely something weird happening somewhere. Maybe Sony did a last-second change of some sort? I wish I could go hands-on with the PS VR to test for myself.
    For the stuff Llamasoft is doing, I'm sure it's great. It's not good for walking around games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    I'll have to see for myself but what I am hearing is that it's much more comfortable to wear, has less of a screen door effect on the pixels but has a much lower resolution (the latter, to me, is probably pretty bad when it comes to racers because fast moving + low res = hard to see anything past your own face)
    I actually think the fact that it's a clearer screen with more subpixels makes it easier to see aliasing. The resolution drop is noticeable but not drastic. Like 20%. But for performance reasons we're probably seeing weaker anti-aliasing, and the lack of grain just makes it easier to see.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 05 Oct 2016 at 06:59 PM.

10. I would love to have DriveClub VR, but not for $400+.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    walking around games.

heh