Page 33 of 84 FirstFirst ... 192931323334353747 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. So apparently the next update is implementing positional-ATW, as well as other optimizations and that the net result of this is that Oculus is lowering the min-spec to a GeForce 960. This is awesome news. I'm still scraping by on my GeForce 770 (pretty equivalent to a 960) so this is exciting.

2. Yeah, that was one of the highlights of the keynote imo.

Also, Rift+Touch will officially support 360-degree tracking using the two trackers in a diagonal fashion. People already knew this stuff would work, but I was afraid Oculus was going to push their 180-degree configuration exclusively. With all the games that I've played on the Vive, the "standing" versus "roomscale" distinction isn't that big but the 180-degree versus 360-degree one is. On top of that, they announced support for "roomscale" (whatever their personal definition of that is) but suggest a third tracker for it ($80 a pop, ouch). I was taken aback by this, as in my experience two Oculus cameras positioned up high works well enough for a roomscale experience similar to what I get with Vive, but I guess Oculus is playing it safe? Most will be able to do roomscale with two trackers and some extension cords.

And they announced some new exclusives that they're funding, the best-looking one probably being Epic's Robo Recall.

There's also a game by Metro guys that looks surprisingly good.
    Last edited by Tain; 06 Oct 2016 at 04:02 PM.

3. oh yeah, and a self-contained (wireless) VR headset with positional tracking is in the works for the more distant future, which could be a really big deal imo

4. I think two opposing cameras will be fine for Roomscale, but I like that they're selling extra sensors for those that want a bigger play area or want more fidelity. It's good to have the option.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    And they announced some new exclusives that they're funding, the best-looking one probably being Epic's Robo Recall.

This is apparently going to be free, along with The Unspoken and VR Sports. That's mighty generous.

The new Ready at Dawn game looks the most interesting for me. Grabbing and pulling and pushing off of objects for locomotion zero gravity is really novel and I can see it working really well.

6. You can already try out Asynchronous Spacewarp, their new translation interpolation tech (cute name to go alongside Asynchronous Timewarp, the existing rotational interpolation tech): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuHpdvMUAAAY9_i.jpg

I just tried it out by playing through a Touch demo in the locked 45fps mode. There are visual artifacts and it obviously doesn't smooth out everything, but it's awfully impressive.

7. Wow, I gotta try that out. A couple of games (Damaged Core and Edge if Nowhere especially) struggle at points, so this will be a big help until I can get that new video card.

8. Polybius

FINALLY

9. a minter-ass game

I'm interested though. The VR demo of TxK ruled.

10. Hah, Polybius. Awesome.

For anyone not familiar with the urban myth, Polybius was a supposed arcade game of unknown origin from the early 80s that some claimed was created by the government and had various psychological or psychadelic effects on players. I doubt many players nowadays remember this, but I'm sure many of Minter's fans probably do.