Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    PSVR seems a lot more limited, maybe? I suspect a lot of PC games are going to see compatibility hacks.
    PSVR definitely seems like a complete, real-deal VR system. It's not like mobile VR or some other half-measure, it should be a good experience.

It's mostly limited by the use of the existing PS4 camera for tracking. which makes it strictly seated/standing, and if you're using motion controllers, you want to keep the player facing the camera. That said, this is the recommended Rift application as well, although it does seem to be capable of room scale should you choose to disregard the recommended set up.

2. I'm talking about in terms of 'software' specifically. Tons of back-catalog stuff is very likely to be reworked for VR headsets on PC, no such option on PSVR (no money in it).

I'm sure going forward with new titles it'll be competitive, but from a total library standpoint PC is going to leave PS4 in the dust very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Tough to say. I'm not sure how much will get reworked on PC, although we have a few so far like Project CARS.

I think this is more of a technical thing. When you're dealing with a console, it's tough to revamp a game you tuned to maximize the hardware to then meet the higher frame rate reqs for VR. You need to totally redo the game. Whereas for PC you can just up the requirements for the VR version of your game.

I think the best way forward for VR in general is just brand new games, but this is especially true on console.

4. I'm very curious to see to what degree this splits the market going forward. We lost a lot of (really good) developers when games went to 3D, I'm wondering how many will ultimately be unable to adapt to VR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. VR is a branch rather than an overwhelming takeover of gaming. Developers who don't or can't do VR will be perfectly fine.

6. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I'm talking about in terms of 'software' specifically. Tons of back-catalog stuff is very likely to be reworked for VR headsets on PC, no such option on PSVR (no money in it).
    More than money, the higher demands of VR from the hardware mean porting stuff made for HD on PS4 is going to be impossible.

But the thing is, most of that is going to be garbage in VR anyway. And even on more powerful PC hardware, you run into problems. The Rift games that have the most performance problems are the ones like Project Cars and Ethan Carter that weren't developed for the platform natively.

It's a small fraction of existing PC games that are really going to feel good in VR. In VR, artificially rotating the camera feels bad, and almost every traditional 3D game does this, so other than simulators, and a handful of games that put real work into rethinking locomotion, you won't want to play most of these anyway.

In case there was any doubt that Oculus are douchebags...

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-rift-a...m-revive-hack/

All the PR speak in the world can't smooth over building in a device check for absolutely no good reason.

I personally won't be affected, because I was never going to buy anything from their storefront anyway.

8. Yeah, that's some bullshit, not going to make excuses on that one. It sort of makes sense for free first party stuff like Lucky's Tale, Farlands, Henry, etc, since that's meant as in incentive for Rift customers as a pack-in, but if it impacts anything third-party, I don't see the justification, or even the incentive.

9. Definitely lame, and I hope it doesn't serve as a hurdle for Revive for long.

I dug a tiny bit more into that Vive performance issue I was having with my game. Turns out that the Rift, by default for everything I believe, renders at 130% resolution, and SteamVR in UE4 defaults to 140%. Combine that with my game dipping below the framerate requirements from time to time on the Rift and the seemingly aggressive nature of SteamVR's reprojection and I'm thinking that the "real" performance of my game is probably pretty similar between the two APIs (as you'd expect it to be).

but man, Oculus' timewarp is pretty impressive. I hope SteamVR reprojection improves to that level.

10. How comfortable is Rift/Vive for those with glasses?