Page 49 of 84 FirstFirst ... 354547484950515363 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. The VR thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    Super excited to try that tonight, and the Rift price drop is a big deal.

Sadly the LG headset prototype isn't very exciting. Higher resolution LG OLED displays, but everything else looks very similar to the Vive.
    Boo urns

Edit: more substantive news is that OR cut their price by $200.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 01 Mar 2017 at 05:39 PM.

2. They gave me a $50 Oculus store credit because I bought my Touch within 30 days.

But I still have 7 days to return it to amazon and rebuy it at half price so I think this is working out pretty well.

3. buh I'm waiting for Recall to unlock for Touch dev hardware owners and all the praise has me pumped.

More info coming out about the LG headset and it's sounding a bit more interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzDu1msS8wk

Quote Originally Posted by a gaf dude
    Upload VR has an extended video interview with the LG headset. The way it slides forward and up off the face looks really slick. A couple of extra tidbits I didn't see posted before from the interview:
    • The prototype uses refractive lenses instead of fresnel.
    • The current resolution isn't final. They're trying to push it further for the final version.
    • The prototype chord is a single USB C cable that carries signal, display, and audio data.
    • The interviewerer noticed how short the cable was and that's because LG is working on a wireless box that would clip to your belt that the wire would plug in to. Final version would also have a longer wire for wired use as well.

4. LG thing looks nice just not next gen like some hoped.

Robot Recall is apparently open source with baked in mod support. It seems like a very short game a la Portal, but mod support could make it something more.

5. Robot Recall is really good. Super polished with really great mechanics and a lot of personality. As far as gameplay goes it's easily one of the best action games yet.

It seems very short (10 stages of maybe 10-15 minutes each), but it reminds me of the original Portal as a kind of "big little game." Plus it has a lot of arcade features like score attack and achievements to unlock that give it replay.

My big complaint is that the way it tries to make you face forward is dopey and disorienting. When you choose your direction in a teleport, the direction arrow indicates where you would be if you were facing front, not where you're facing currently. I realize this is a concession to people who keep their sensors on their desk and don't have 360, but there really should be another option. Oh well, if they don't patch it I'm sure mods will take care of it.

6. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/commen...4d&sh=5473a15f

Apparently you can get the game for free from the Epic Launcher, for the Vive owners out there that don't want to drop $30 on it.

7. That's really cool. People talk a lot of shit on Oculus for being too proprietary but they just funded a $10 million open-source fucking game from a AAA developer.

8. Aw, looks like it's just the first level.

9. It's still cool to make a game like this open source. Especially when you talk about where we are in VR's life, that's a great thing to put out there and let people play with and learn from.

I really like this game. There are so many fun mechanics. Smacking bullets out of the air with your gun, grabbing rockets and chucking them at enemies, air juggling enemies as they leap in toward you... It's a much faster, more white-knuckle experience than SuperHOT, but it makes you feel like a superhero in that same way.

I do hope they add more content in updates, but it's arcadey enough that it seems like there's good replay. There are challenge stars to unlock, which open up upgrades, and leaderboards for high score... I will likely be spending a lot of time on this one.

10. Palmer is out.

Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey, the man behind the Rift concept and its first prototypes, is leaving the company three years after selling to Facebook.

According to Oculus, this will be Palmer’s last week with Friday marking his official last day as an employee of Facebook. In an official statement, the company said that:

“Palmer will be dearly missed. Palmer’s legacy extends far beyond Oculus. His inventive spirit helped kickstart the modern VR revolution and helped build an industry. We’re thankful for everything he did for Oculus and VR, and we wish him all the best.”
    When asked if Luckey’s departure was voluntary, Facebook representatives declined to comment, citing a policy of not discussing internal personnel matters.”
    pretty happy about it tbh