Page 4 of 84 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. In my experience, Vive is fine with glasses. Of the two it's more spacious and you can change the lens depth to give yourself more room (a feature the Rift DK2 had but not the consumer one for whatever reason). The Rift works fine with glasses for the people that I've seen try it, but I've heard it can be too tight for some.

If you're only slightly nearsighted (me), you don't really need glasses for these headsets.

2. I've heard Vive is better for people with glasses. Oculus promised different interfaces to better accomodate glasses, but as of right now there's no word on when we'll actually get those.

My Rift is here. I can't use it with my USB ports and I won't have a new USB card until my roommate gets home since I had it shipped to her office since my mailman steals my mail.

3. Spent a couple hours with my Rift. Various shorts, demos, and some Lucky's Tale. It's really extremely cool. Much better than DK2, which was the last serious VR I tried. While you can still vaguely make out subpixels as a sort of texture, it's nothing like the screen door in the earlier dev kits, and the image quality is generally good enough that I don't think about it. Even the resolution while obviously not as sharp as an HD game on a monitor is good enough not to be distracting.

Lucky's Tale is a lot of fun. A lot of people don't get why you'd want to play a game like that in VR, but it works really well.

4. Further impressions:

Performance: I'm a notch below min spec (I have a 2500k at 4.2 Ghz and a GeForce 770 4GB), and I have had no real performance issues. There were a couple moments where I could detect some dropped frames, but for rotation, time warp covers this up really well so it never bothered me. Even Ethan Carter ran pretty well, albeit at 80% resolution. I do hope to get a 970 soon, but it's not a huge deal in the meantime.

Motion sickness: So now I've gotten to try some of the more motion-intensive experiences. None of this makes me motion sick in the sense of nausea, but it can be pretty dizzying and gets uncomfortable after a while. Ethan Carter with comfort mode off is pretty much a good idea of what playing an FPS or open world game would be like in VR, and it's manageable but it's pretty intense.

5. "Dizzying" is what I felt playing Sol Contingency. Twisting through 3D space in a Decent-alike while also looking around is a great way to feel like your brain is going to spiral right out of your skull. Cockpit view only sorts that kind of motion out a little. I like to think that means I'll feel dizzy rather than nauseous on the games that don't get the motion right, but I'll see how that goes when mine gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Ethan Carter with comfort mode off is pretty much a good idea of what playing an FPS or open world game would be like in VR, and it's manageable but it's pretty intense.
    What does comfort mode do?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    What does comfort mode do?
    It's basically like Myst, where you teleport between set nodes rather than having free movement.

8. Anyone know any good articles on OR for someone like who doesn't know shit about it? I want to send something to the wife so she can kind of get some info on it if I decide to take the plunge.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Anyone know any good articles on OR for someone like who doesn't know shit about it? I want to send something to the wife so she can kind of get some info on it if I decide to take the plunge.
    There are a lot of giddy reviews and impressions out there, but it really is pretty hard to communicate. Some people "get it" more easily than others. My girlfriend was very much "I'll just have to see, I don't really get it," but 3 minutes into using it, she was like "I'm buying one of these for Christmas." My roommate was also somewhat critical (although less skeptical) and was instantly sold after trying it.

The best pitch might be some of the reaction videos of people playing it on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Anyone know any good articles on OR for someone like who doesn't know shit about it? I want to send something to the wife so she can kind of get some info on it if I decide to take the plunge.
    Check out a store demo at GameStop or a Microsoft store. One of them in NYC has to have a Vive. She won't want to be limited to standing or sitting once she tries roomscale.