Page 58 of 84 FirstFirst ... 445456575859606272 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. From the videos I've watched, I'd say the fact that foreground and background colors are the same and most of the environment is wide open probably plays are big part in making it less disorienting.

2. There are also more closed/cluttered spaces as well, though.

I think it helps that there's no real acceleration and all movement is either straight or correlated to your wrist.

More likely it's probably a lot of little things. They must have done a lot of research.

3. I was also impressed by the movement in To the Top, which admitted is more like being a frog than anything else. Grab and pull yourself along, hanging from projections on the wall and then leaping towards the next handhold without a bit of teleportation or other workaround. I played it for an hour and more at a time without a bit of discomfort.

4. Oculus is having a sale on the Rift + Touch bundle for $400.

It's the Xbox One if VR headsets. Just keep waiting, and they'll be paying you to play it.

6. Cool story. Can you name a single reason why anyone would pay double for a Vive? Like a real one that anyone cares about, not "Mark Zuckerberg eats babies" or "I can put a tracking puck on my cat."

Equivalent hardware, better controllers, a shit-load of pack in games including some really good ones, half the price, plays everything that Vive does... I mean come on dude.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 10 Jul 2017 at 04:28 PM.

Because Facebook isn't slashing prices out of the goodness of their heart? That's why I compared it to the Xbox One. There seems to be a new price cut every few months, even if they're temporary.

If it's due to sales, which it almost has to be, then developers are going to stop wasting their time officially supporting it, unless Facebook continues to throw cash around, which isn't sustainable.

8. I'm going to make a crazy prediction and say Vive will not remain double the price.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Because Facebook isn't slashing prices out of the goodness of their heart?
    Do you think HTC is keeping prices high because selling less than 500,000 units in over a year is good enough for them? Or is it because they can't afford to sell it at a more attractive price in the same way a 60 billion dollar company with infinite revenue can?

That's why I compared it to the Xbox One.
    It's like an Xbox One that plays PS4 games for half the price of a PS4. Who wouldn't buy that over a PS4?

If it's due to sales, which it almost has to be, then developers are going to stop wasting their time officially supporting it, unless Facebook continues to throw cash around, which isn't sustainable.
    1) Of course it's due to sales. Both Rift and Vive have been held back tremendously by price point. It doesn't matter if Vive is selling more if they're both selling like shit. Neither one has cracked a million units, yet. Getting the price down is crucial to changing that.

2) Why would official support matter to a consumer, if it's compatible with the only other standard anyway?

3) Yeah, third party support is going to depend on installed base... Are you implying that selling this cheaply is going to hurt Oculus' sales?

Go home, Yoshi. You're drunk.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 10 Jul 2017 at 05:10 PM.

I love how personally you take a comparison that is absolutely spot on. A hardware maker currently losing a battle that is outside their core business is slashing prices. Your counter-argument is essentially that the Xbox is doing better than the Rift. You really showed me.