Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. I think he's more trying to sell her on VR as a concept than a particular unit.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

2. Right. Before I spend thousands of dollars on a setup id like her to know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I think he's more trying to sell her on VR as a concept than a particular unit.
    I know. That's why I recommended essentially the opposite of what he asked. You might as well go for the gold.

4. I dunno, Oculus has some quick, easily-digestible demos that show off the concept pretty well. Dreamdeck is a pretty cool way to get VR across in 5 minutes. Either way you're probably good.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 21 May 2016 at 11:24 PM.

5. Man, it really is easy to get sucked into this. Disorienting too. You can take the thing off an be totally thrown by where you are in the room, what way you're facing and what time it is.

I've gotten more used to the wild motion in EVE: Valkyrie. It's still pretty intense, but more in a fun way than an "I feel dizzy, I need a break" way. I've also been playing Please Don't Touch Anything, which is amusing in a Stanley Parable kind of way (but with puzzles).

I still haven't hooked up my Leap Motion to try The Lab. Too distracted by the games in front of me.

6. Got tracked hands working. The Leap Motion Blocks demo is pretty magical for as simple as it is. Having accurately tracked hands down to finger movements makes it feel very real.

Tried using it to run The Lab, but I think it's going to take a little more work to bridge the hardware gap. I appear to low like my waist is floor level, the sound comes out of my computer speakers and the controls didn't translate very well without a physical wand to hold. I've seen others do this with success but Game of Thrones was on and I didn't feel like messing with it tonight
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 23 May 2016 at 09:50 AM.

Karma is a bitch, Palmer.

8. I think this is what they wanted. Now they can shut the project down with lawyers, where before they couldn't really do anything.

Although fuck if I know why they would want to turn away Vive owners' money in the first place.

I hope that's their strategy, because it makes them look like even bigger assholes. No wonder Facebook was interested. Birds of a feather...

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I hope that's their strategy, because it makes them look like even bigger assholes. No wonder Facebook was interested. Birds of a feather...
    I don't think Facebook has anything to do with this. Facebook has made it clear that their interest is in the platform, not the hardware, so locking hardware out at the expense of growing the platform isn't very in line with their goals.

It really strikes me as a move made out of hubris. They're mad non-customers are playing their free games for free. But they shouldn't be; these games bring people to Oculus Home, and they might even spend some money there if the experience is good.

This isn't about greed, it's just pride and stupidity. If Oculus was smart they'd add official Vive support.