Page 64 of 84 FirstFirst ... 506062636465666878 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Looking good, I'll have to pick it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bryce View Post
    @Tain, still haven't dived into the Horizon Vanguard demo yet but I watched some vids. Looks pretty awesome, you really nailed that old school aesthetic. One of my dream projects in VR is to do some kinda Virtua Cop/Time Crisis clone with lofi graphics. I'm gonna still be working on Raybeem in the immediate future and I'm a bit burned out on VR dev. Might do a straightforward 2D game to refresh myself.
    Thanks! One of the things I've been thinking of doing as a short change of pace is messing around with game jams on itch.io. I'd probably find myself doing VR stuff even in that case, though, since I feel more comfortable working with polygons than sprites and I feel like I can pretty easily work some kind of VR mode into most genres assuming I'm working with an engine like UE4 or Unity.

2. What are people’s thoughts on the Microsoft VR stuff coming out soon? It looks to have some nice technical and design upgrades over the OR/Vive and the price is pretty reasonable.

3. It does, in some areas, but I don't have faith that the tracker system (a few trackers on the HMD itself, behaving like ARKit on an Apple device) will be good enough for use with many games designed for the Vive and Rift. Basic positional tracking of the head should be passable, though, so gamepad-based VR games should be good.

But Robo Recall? Budget Cuts? I don't see it. I hope I'm wrong, or that they sell nice and low-priced separate trackers for that sort of thing.

How long it'll take Valve to implement SteamVR support is also up in the air. I'm sure it'll happen, but it would be nice for users if MS had "compatibility with most existing VR software" ready to go as part of the platform.

edit: having said that, Oculus just announced a standalone $199 headset with tracked motion controllers and the tracking looks really good in the promo shots. I want the dream of trackerless Vive-quality motion really badly, so I hope I'm wrong about all this. edit2: I'm mixing up Go and Santa Cruz, nvm.
    Last edited by Tain; 11 Oct 2017 at 01:37 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    What are people’s thoughts on the Microsoft VR stuff coming out soon? It looks to have some nice technical and design upgrades over the OR/Vive and the price is pretty reasonable.
    I haven't used it hands-on, but I've read a lot of impressions. With the exception of the Samsung one, I hear they don't look as good and there's more screen door, which is probably owed to their use of LCD panels rather than OLED. I hear good things about the headset tracking, but the hand-tracking works only in line-of-sight, which is fine for adventure games and most shooters where you don't need to do stuff with your hands unless you're looking at them, but it's problematic for things like throwing, archery, and social VR where you might need tracked controllers that aren't in view.

Samsung's device is said to be greatly superior in image quality, besting even Rift and Vive. But it's more expensive than the others and (as of 5 minutes ago) more expensive than Rift. There will be SteamVR support for the MS headsets, it seems, but it remains to be seen if we get a hack for Oculus like Vive has (Oculus still has a lot of the best content on lock).

Personally, I don't find them super appealing right now.

5. Yea the just announced price drop puts the OR in the driver’s seat IMO.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Yea the just announced price drop puts the OR in the driver’s seat IMO.
    Windows itself is kind of the killer app for MS's solution, but Rift Core 2.0 looks to be taking a stab at that as well, with general computing functionality. The gaming-centric multitasking (being able to watch a video while you're in game for example) are really compelling. I think there's a lot of ground left to cover there, and Windows still has leverage by owning the OS, but it seems like this will be more of a race as well.

I'm pretty excited about all of the quality of life updates Oculus is doing. Rift has always felt very console-like -- Polished and nice looking, but barebones in some ways. Their online social stuff has been pathetic. But this new stuff they're showing is actually really cool.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 11 Oct 2017 at 02:03 PM.

7. The gaming segment of today's Oculus keynote was pretty disappointing. They called 2018 the year of "Unlimited Potential," but the actual lineup seems very limited. Basically just that Marvel thing, and a new shooter mode for Echo Arena. I didn't expect them to keep up the cadence of 2017 release schedule, but I was hoping for a couple of fun announcements.

I'm very happy to hear they're doing a sequel to Lone Echo, and the new game from Respawn is promising (in that it exists), but neither of those are going to arrive in 2018.

The single player Unspoken game sounds cool. That game was very good, but multiplayer doesn't hold my interest for that long. Referring to it as a "chapter" doesn't leave me optimistic for its size, but I'm looking forward to it all the same.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 11 Oct 2017 at 03:43 PM.

8. Yeah, Oculus doesn't have anything major until Santa Cruz becomes a real thing. Everything else is just killing time until it happens. But hey, you can customize Home starting in December, so Wheee...?

9. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Yeah, Oculus doesn't have anything major until Santa Cruz becomes a real thing. Everything else is just killing time until it happens. But hey, you can customize Home starting in December, so Wheee...?
    If Oculus really is putting all their eggs in the Santa Cruz basket, I think it might be a major strategic error. It's not going to be cheaper than Rift (although obviously being standalone makes the price easier for many) and I'm not convinced people want to pay that much to play mobile VR content. You're not going to be playing AAA games on a Snapdragon-powered headset. And if it can't access existing content libraries it's going to have a tough climb.

I heard an unsubstantiated claim that it would work both standalone and wirelessly connect to a PC. If they pull that off they could have a killer product, kind of a Nintendo Switch of VR. But I remain skeptical they're going to do that.

10. I think that would be a Really Good Idea, for sure. Hell, they could even get away with having it connect to the PC with USB/HDMI.

It's a safe bet that it'll run GearVR/Go software, though.