Page 65 of 84 FirstFirst ... 516163646566676979 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Yeah, never mind Santa Cruz. I read that as a wireless PC thing rather than a standalone unit. If it connects to PC and is Oculs Rift 2 then I'll change my opinion, but for right now it looks like a bigger Oculus Go.

2. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Yeah, never mind Santa Cruz. I read that as a wireless PC thing rather than a standalone unit. If it connects to PC and is Oculs Rift 2 then I'll change my opinion, but for right now it looks like a bigger Oculus Go.
    The inclusion of positional tracking and motion controls make it a very large step up from Go, but that still creates a content problem. Is it going to play GearVR stuff or are people going to have to create seriously reworked versions of PC games specifically for it?

Go, on the other hand, really shouldn't exist. The more people play bad VR with no positional tracking or hand presence, the more people will see VR as a fad. Oculus was smart to hold their product until it was polished enough to deliver presence but the low end has totally worked against that.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NseJ...=youtu.be&t=48

oof, yeah, Windows headset tracking looks real bad. Given the price of the Rift right now these don't seem worthwhile.

4. Woof, yeah. That confirms my fears about hand tracking. The designed this tracking system around Holo Lens, where line of sight gesture tracking is enough (especially given the super limited FOV), and then tried to kludge in motion controllers for VR.

Oculus' solution for reconciling inside-out SLAM and hand tracking in Santa Cruz looks so much better. It's still a limitation compared to outside in, but it seems to work pretty well as long as your hand is not behind your gaze. MS could have done something like that here and they'd be a real player, but they didn't.

5. So I got an Oculus for my birthday. Feels kind of weird to join the club. It actually runs on my current PC so I went through the robot demo yesterday which was awesome but the whole lineup seems quite intimidating. Can anyone give me a run-down of "must own" games for the platform? I trust you guys over some Road to VR shit. I did buy Job Simulator because I really enjoyed it when I first tried VR.

6. If you've already got Thumper fire it up in VR and be amazed at how much better it plays.

SuperHot VR is a must-have, easily the best of the shooting-gallery games.
    Zaccaria Pinball is nice if you like pinball, but not a requirement if you don't.

I'd recommend leafing through your Steam library to see what supports VR. There's probably more than you realize in there.

7. Superhot is still #1 for me. Fucking around with Google Earth is probably #2.
    Robo Recall is really good but hasn't blown my mind so far. Feels more like a really fun lightgun game.

One recommendation I'd make that I don't hear that often is Dirt Rally. I'm not normally that into racing sims (I've fired up Project Cars as well and it didn't really grab me) but Dirt Rally is so good in VR cockpit view, doing time-trials with your co-pilot barking out the details of the course.

8. If you have the VR headset and Touch, Space Pirate Trainer is pretty legit for a stand there and shoot stuff game.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    So I got an Oculus for my birthday. Feels kind of weird to join the club. It actually runs on my current PC so I went through the robot demo yesterday which was awesome but the whole lineup seems quite intimidating. Can anyone give me a run-down of "must own" games for the platform? I trust you guys over some Road to VR shit. I did buy Job Simulator because I really enjoyed it when I first tried VR.
    Lone Echo/Echo Arena are probably the best made for VR games, and they come in a single package, so start there.
    Robo Recall, obviously, comes with the bundle and is great.
    Rec Room looks stupid but it's by far the best social VR thing, and some of the games in it are really fun. Free too.
    Superhot feels awesome to play. It won't last you long, but it just feels great.
    Mage's Tale is a pretty fun first-person dungeon crawler. Also one of the longer, deeper games for VR right now.
    Wilson's Heart has a ton of atmosphere, and is again, one of the longer, more "AAA" games on the platform.
    Rez Infinite is Rez in VR. With a really amazing new level.

There's some other good games, too, but that would be where I'd start.

10. And if you're open to gamepad-based games, I love Chronos, Thumper, and Battlezone.