Page 6 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

Hubris sounds a lot like Facebook. Thus the "birds of a feather."

2. So I figured out what I was doing wrong with Steam VR. I guess when I calibrated the floor last time, I placed the headset out of range of my camera. I set it up again in a more open space, switch Windows sound to output from The Rift and calibrated my Magic Leap, and it all ran much better. So now I can play The Lab, which is pretty fun, but mostly makes me sad Valve didn't make a full game in the Portal Universe for this thing. I guess I'll try Portal Stories VR tonight.

3. I didn't realize Leap Motion was supported (even via third party), that's pretty awesome. How's the lag on that? I remember Leap Motion demos being laggy in early DK2 days.

Any of y'all try Space Pirate Trainer yet?
    Last edited by Tain; 24 May 2016 at 01:00 PM.

4. It's not laggy. They put out a driver package designed for VR and it's very respinsive. On the things that are designed for it, it's pretty magical. It loses your hands when they get out of view and sometimes when they're just too far away in front of you, but when it works, it's pretty breathtaking. I could see a more purpose-built version of this tech becoming a key component of VR.

On the downside, it's a bit of a bitch to calibrate (VR requires 90% calibration, which is hard to achieve) and it seems like you need to recalibrate it like every time you unplug it.

In SteamVR it's not as cool, of course, because you're seeing controllers in place of hands and using gestures instead of buttons. It's not ideal, but it's worth the $25 I paid for it as a stop gap until Touch comes out. I'd honestly be interested in any games that natively support it, as because having hand presence down to being able to wiggle my fingers is pretty incredible.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 24 May 2016 at 02:14 PM.

5. The little "underground" bits in Lucky's Tale make me want a 2D platformer in VR, as odd as that sounds. The scale and diaorama feel are really cute. So I went and played Virtual Boy Wario Land.

I'm also wishing for a way to play SMS 3D games with this so I can finally enjoy them like the commercial led me to believe.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 25 May 2016 at 11:41 AM.

I think I'd rather just use 3D Vision for 2.5D platformers than have to wear a headset. The effect is really great in stuff like Rocket Knight.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I think I'd rather just use 3D Vision for 2.5D platformers than have to wear a headset. The effect is really great in stuff like Rocket Knight.
    I get the appeal of that, but there are still real problems with 3D TVs. The depth kind of scales with your distance to the screen, and you can't move your head and look around stuff, so you don't get that same sense of looking at a miniature diorama. I've used 3DTVs and monitors before, but it doesn't give me that same feel.

Have you tried Lucky's Tale? Particularly the little underground bits where it switches to tiny scale. It's like toys come to life, it's really compelling.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 25 May 2016 at 12:50 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The little "underground" bits in Lucky's Tale make me want a 2D platformer in VR, as odd as that sounds. The scale and diaorama feel are really cute. So I went and played Virtual Boy Wario Land.

I'm also wishing for a way to play SMS 3D games with this so I can finally enjoy them like the commercial led me to believe.
    Wild question, but how are Virtual Boy games with a VR headset? I imagine there are a lot more rendering options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Wild question, but how are Virtual Boy games with a VR headset? I imagine there are a lot more rendering options.
    There's two basic view modes, one which is exactly like the original, with a fixed image in each eye, and one that creates a big virtual 3D screen in front of you that isn't locked to your view (you can lean toward it or look away from it...) The latter is a cooler experience, although you're more apt to notice dropped frames. I played Red Alarm like this and it was actually pretty immersive for what it was. It's definitely as good a way as any to play these games.

I really like my Rift. Pricey though it might be, I'm glad I got it. VR is the real deal, it's definitely going to be a thing everyone's going to want once it comes down in price and gets some killer apps.

10. Stern Pinball Arcade coming to GearVR... now? And Rift in Fall.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300277879.html

ELK GROVE VILLAGE, Ill., June 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines, proudly announced today the launch of The Stern Pinball Arcade, available on Oculus. The Stern Pinball Arcade was developed in partnership with Oculus and FarSight Studios, the maker of The Pinball Arcade.

The new virtual reality (VR) version of The Stern Pinball Arcade provides gamers with a fun, immersive pinball experience based on digital recreations of ever-popular Stern Pinball titles. The Pinball Arcade has been downloaded over 20 million times across mobile platforms, PC and consoles. Titles available in the initial release of the Stern Pinball Arcade include Star Trek, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Starship Troopers and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

"We're always looking for creative new ways to provide pinball experiences for current players and future generations," said Gary Stern, Chairman and CEO of Stern Pinball, Inc. "With the introduction of the virtual reality version of The Stern Pinball Arcade, we've put a new, fun spin on our much beloved pinball games."

Oculus, a subsidiary of Facebook and one of VR's leading companies, provides unique VR experiences through its products – Rift and the Samsung Gear VR, powered by Oculus.

Pricing and Availability:
    The Stern Pinball Arcade is free to download in the Oculus store and comes with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

Star Trek: $9.99
    Ripley's Believe it or Not: $4.99
    Starship Troopers: $4.99

The Stern Pinball Arcade will also be released on more platforms this fall including; Oculus Rift, PS4, Xbox One, Wii-U, Steam (PC/MAC), iOS and Android.
    Pinball FX2 is cool and all but it's nice to hear more about the real pinball game coming to VR, lol.