Page 78 of 84 FirstFirst ... 6474767778798082 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Well that ain't good. Brandon Iribibe is out, and while there's a little dispute as to whether or not the Rift 2 is canceled it doesn't sound promising.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/oc...ift-2-headset/

2. Fuck, man. That's heartbreaking. The R&D they've dumped into that alone has to be priceless.

3. Facebook's Nate Mitchell says Nope, still going ahead. So... No idea, honestly.

I do know the future of VR is untethered from the PC, but I always assumed it would be physically removed thanks to near-magic-tech levels of data transfer rates by wireless. The cut-down offerings from Oculus are interesting but feel like a step backwards in graphic power even as they try to make up for it in other ways. Maybe VR's revival came along 10 years too early?

4. As long as the actual VR tech is good, I can live with outdated visuals for a generation or two, but I don't think I want to be locked in to an ecosystem that's run by Google or Facebook. The game libraries for Oculus Go and Google Daydream don't inspire confidence.

Ideally, I'd like to have a PC-connected headset that uses the PC as more of a server, while the headset handles all of the rendering and time-sensitive game logic.

Wireless, of course.
    Last edited by kedawa; 22 Oct 2018 at 06:34 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Facebook's Nate Mitchell says Nope, still going ahead. So... No idea, honestly.
    What I would imagine, here, is that the project Iribe had been heading up to be the Rift's successor was canned in favor of something less ambitious.

Which is disappointing because Oculus seemed to be aiming quite high and I think that's the right path for the PC/enthusiast gamer market.

6. So Beat Saber finally has a ps4 release date. November 20.

7. Finally got a little time to play Astro Bot after picking it up Monday and it's every bit as good as promised. Really can't overstate how utterly charming it is, and the level design is incredibly clever and refuses to stop offering up new surprises. Only downside is that it's very much a game to stand for, because you need to look all around constantly.

8. I won't stand for it!

Office chair works fine as well. There are a couple of times when you want to stand to look into or around something, so I think it was designed with a set sitting height with the option for you to go higher by standing for some neat extras.

Like in one of the water levels, if you're standing I don't know how you'd stand even more to get your head up into a wrecked galleon.

10. Just finished playing the first mission of ace combat 7's vr mode. Even if the rest of the missions suck that was worth the price of admission.