Page 7 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. My Rift should be here by Friday. I'll let you know if I get motion sickness again.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

2. Friends have me playing Overwatch like mad and I've been playing Uncharted 4 and Doom so I haven't even gotten to sit down with the beefier games on my own, unfortunately.

3. Been playing the VR remake of Please Don't Touch Anything. Kind of reminds of of The Stanley Parable but with puzzles instead of exploration. Lots of short plays to get different endings.

It's an odd game to do in VR (the original was 2D), but the isolation of VR does work well for the whole "trapped in a room" premise.

4. The VR thread

Firewatch really needs to be a VR title. I imagine the canned animation would be an issue though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. Obduction coming to the Rift on July 26th, nice.

6. Locomotion is an issue, too. Walking around in VR with thumb sticks is kind of tricky to get right.

Although, it's more workable than some would have you believe. I've been playing Vanishing of Ethan Carter in VR, and I realized that if you only use the left stick for movement, it's not that bad. Basically, play standing, turn in real life, and just use the stick to walk or strafe, and you effectively eliminate dizziness.

Left stick movement is comfortable up to a point, but the way it works in most first person game is not really. It's too fast and acceleration/deceleration too sudden.

This is pretty fixable, but I feel like in some game, walking at a slow, comfortable speed might get pretty tedious.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

7. Moving around will always be a problem in a confined space, so I think we're going to see a lot of traversal gimmicks and hybrid controls.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Locomotion is an issue, too. Walking around in VR with thumb sticks is kind of tricky to get right.

Although, it's more workable than some would have you believe. I've been playing Vanishing of Ethan Carter in VR, and I realized that if you only use the left stick for movement, it's not that bad. Basically, play standing, turn in real life, and just use the stick to walk or strafe, and you effectively eliminate dizziness.

Left stick movement is comfortable up to a point, but the way it works in most first person game is not really. It's too fast and acceleration/deceleration too sudden.

This is pretty fixable, but I feel like in some game, walking at a slow, comfortable speed might get pretty tedious.
    I agree, overall. I've found that if you do real-world rotation and you only fake-move at one fixed speed (no acceleration), things are pretty okay.

I've also found that, weirdly, quick mouse movements are better for fake rotation than analog sticks. I think that moving at unbelievable speeds is less likely to trick your brain, idk.

9. Got my confirmation e-mail today, now I just have to hope that I've got the time to take a sick day for its arrival. No tracking info yet, and if I'm luck it might even show on my day off.

10. Apparently Pool Nation VR (http://store.steampowered.com/app/269170/) hit the Steam top sellers list despite requiring a Vive.

It does look pretty neat.