Page 50 of 84 FirstFirst ... 364648495051525464 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. I have no strong feeling about it. I deeply the extent to which Luckey's initiative and enthusiasm served as a lighting rot that set off this VR resurgence. But he was handsomely rewarded for that, and even before the controversy, I think he was in many ways reduced to a spokesman. And as a spokesman, part of your job is steering clear of scandal. Dude talked to journalists of his own accord and copped to some scandalous behavior. He has no one to blame but himself.

I wonder what he has to contribute at this point. He probably has a no-compete keeping him from going anywhere VR-related for a certain amount of time and then after that... He's not a businessman, he's not an engineer, and his public image is tarnished. But he is a near-billionaire. It might be smart to just invest wisely, and ride off into the sunset, but I somehow doubt that's what he'll do.

2. What did he do that was so scandalous? Are you talking about the zenimax stuff?

3. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    What did he do that was so scandalous? Are you talking about the zenimax stuff?
    He expressed his political opinions don't forget.

4. dude's a MAGA chud that funded a self-labeled "shitposting and meme magic" r/the_donald group

hardly surprising for a young multi-millionaire raised by 4chan, but I guess if I have the choice I prefer my tech figureheads to at least pretend to care about the disenfranchised lol

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    What did he do that was so scandalous? Are you talking about the zenimax stuff?
    He inexplicably outed himself as the financier of a right-wing shitposting group with a stated goal of promoting false stories that the real PACs wouldn't touch. He had an alternate account on Reddit that said a lot of really cringey and embarrassing things. He actually told this to a reporter and then when the backlash came he lied about it, and then issued a bizarre nonsensical non-apology that contradicted his own statements.

Every aspect of it was handled really badly, so facebook locked him in a room and told him not to talk to anyone until his contract was up.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    He expressed his political opinions don't forget.
    That's really not it, though. If he just said he was voting for Trump, I'm sure some people would have bitched and moaned, but no one would dream of firing him.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 31 Mar 2017 at 02:27 PM.

6. The VR thread

Who knows what happened behind the scenes, but of course that was it. His political opinions are not acceptable in the tech world. They're just not. Look at what happened to the Mozilla guy. He did none of that, just donated money somewhere, and got canned because his opinions weren't orthodoxy.

"Cringey and embarrassing" come on man. It's Reddit, everything on there is embarrassing.

I don't see Luckey as a guy who was meant to be a high level employee at a boring internet company. But he spent his entire young life on VR. I don't know what else he is going to do, I hope he doesn't have a Notch-esque breakdown
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 31 Mar 2017 at 03:15 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I don't know what else he is going to do, I hope he doesn't have a Notch-esque breakdown
    Notch is an apt comparison though. Luckey, like Notch, won the lottery with a once-in-a-lifetime idea and sold out big, but doesn't really have a skill marketable enough to justify paying him the kind of money you would need to motivate a near-billionaire.

He's a college dropout. He's not an engineer, he's not a coder, he's not a businessman, and he's toxic as a public figure. He has a lot of money to invest and I'm sure he will, but what else does he bring to the table at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    "Cringey and embarrassing" come on man. It's Reddit, everything on there is embarrassing.
    But look, when your job is basically "spokesman," part of that job description is avoiding scandal and drama. And all this scandal, it was all shit he sought out, including the fact that he fucking told a reporter about it. That's some seriously bad judgement.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 31 Mar 2017 at 03:29 PM.

8. Thiel's position at Facebook seems fine though and that dude pretty much wants to create Rapture IRL.

Notch choosing to spend his current days of infinite opportunity and freedom Getting Mad Online is the funniest fucking thing.

9. I feel better with Luckey gone. He revealed himself to be a techno-man-child with zero social abilities, and with the kind of money he's got I don't have a reason to believe he'll ever grow out of it. Maybe he won't pull a Notch, but it's probably best he's out of the way for a good long while.

10. Wilson's Heart is out and getting good reviews.

This has been a hell of a year for game releases, but I think I'm just about ready to dig into more VR stuff. Robo Recall will be first, and then I may have to pick up Wilson's Heart.