Page 67 of 84 FirstFirst ... 536365666768697181 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. I don't know shit about shit, but I'd say you may as well wait at this point. Sony already released a somewhat refined headset. Oculous and Vive can't be far behind.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Let's say I have the disposable income to get into this shit now. Is it a good time to buy, and is the Rift the best choice? Should I hold out for what's coming up next?
    IIRC Oculus said no new main PC headset until 2019 at least. I'm guessing there will be new peripherals for Valve stuff (newer controllers, newer trackers) before then, but it'll all be stuff you'd have to buy piecemeal. LG has a new SteamVR headset coming in probably 2018 but it doesn't sound dramatically different from the Vive and who knows the price. I don't think it's a bad time to buy, personally.

It's a hard call between Vive and Rift. The differences are relatively subtle and you can't go wrong with either, but a little TLDR:

Rift:
    - cheaper (but you'll want a third tracker at $65)
    - comfier headset out of the box that has headphones built-in, quick to get on and off (Vive has a $100 "Deluxe Audio Strap" that bridges this gap, required imo)
    - better controllers in terms of ergonomics and input method (thumbsticks instead of trackpads, more buttons, comfier, lighter, uses AA batteries)
    - Oculus has been funding most of the higher-budget VR games, so you'll have a breezy time playing those thru the Oculus platform instead of having to use a fan-made compatibility layer (though the layer is apparently pretty good)
    - Oculus platform is probably better at hiding low framerates, but Valve could catch up whenever

Vive:
    - more rock-solid tracking (even if you buy a third tracker for Rift, the Vive will give you more stable tracking with the two "base stations" out of the box)
    - much easier to set up for 360-degree play (the two Vive base stations come with some simple mounting equipment and only need wall outlet power, but getting Rift trackers behind you involves running long USB back to your PC)
    - way less demanding in terms of USB juice (Vive is a single USB port for the whole setup, Rift needs 4 and is too much power for some USB chipsets. Having to grab a $20 USB card isn't as rare as you may think.)
    - will be compatible with the Valve Knuckles controllers whenever those are released, which look to be better than Rift's current controllers (but will be sold separately of course)

I'd say that given the price gulf, a Rift with a third sensor is probably the best combo for most people, but the best overall hardware setup is probably the Vive with the extra audio strap in spite of the controllers being less good. Sorry I couldn't be more definitive, lol
    Last edited by Tain; 09 Dec 2017 at 10:04 PM.

That's all good advice, I definitely wanted to hear what you and Frog had to say about the current products.

4. Damn, that's a relative steal given that the headset+strap is normally $700.
    Last edited by Tain; 11 Dec 2017 at 12:24 PM.

5. Yeah, great deal. I'd go for it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Let's say I have the disposable income to get into this shit now. Is it a good time to buy, and is the Rift the best choice? Should I hold out for what's coming up next?
    Yeah, we're at the point where there's a pretty solid line up of good games, though there's only a very few great games (like 9/10 great games).

Rift has by far the better software lineup right now, thanks to a very aggressive push to put out at least one major title a month this year. But most of the Rift's library is playable on VIVE with ReVive, so this isn't a deciding factor, as long as you're willing to buy games on a marketplace not designed for your hardware.

Hardware-wise, there's not a huge difference, but they each have some advantages. Vive has better tracking if your play space is larger than maybe 11x11. Less than that, you probably won't notice a big difference in tracking. Rift has much better hand controllers, but Vive has their own improved controllers on the way. Rift is also a bit more comfortable and has built in headphones, where Vive sells the headphone strap as a $99 add-on.

I really like having VR, and I feel like for the amount of time I have to play, there's always fun stuff to do.

I was bad and bought PSVR because it was on sale this week. It was a fraction of the costs and works with my existing setup. Hopefully this will satiate my interest for a bit.

I was surprised by how nice the headset is and the effect is limited but works really well for being cobbled together and repurposed existing tech.

8. which bundle did you pick up?

9. PSVR is good for what it is, just not quite Full-Ass VR. Still has great games, play that RE7!