Page 82 of 84 FirstFirst ... 68788081828384 LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Asgard's Wrath is out and being widely praised at the best VR game to date and a true AAA effort. I was not wild about Sanzaru's earlier titles, but this one seems to be on another level.

Oculus seems to be the only ones left who really want to make that push for real AAA VR content. Stormland and Medal of Honor look really impressive too. I wish they'd offer some more exciting hardware to go with it.

2. Until there's a much bigger install base, there's not much incentive for third parties to make anything more than mini-games and "experiences".
    In the meantime, hopefully VR support will become more common in standard AAA games, so at least that install base can grow a little faster.

3. Half-Life: Alyx is real and will be shown Thursday. Valve calls it their "flagship VR game." I wonder how Boneworks-y it'll be, as that seems like it'd fit in line with Half-Life tradition to do all that fully-body physics simulation stuff.
    https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/st...66870360387584

Speaking of, Boneworks looks sick and comes out on 12/10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWBeyiXaig

Oculus just enabled Quest Link on the public beta channel, so with the right cable you can tether your Quest to your PC and play Rift games through it. I haven't been able to try it myself yet but I hear the results are good.

Stormland just came out and I'm pumped to play it but haven't found the time yet.

Pistol Whip, though, fucked me up over the weekend and is, imo, the best new rhythm game in as long as I can remember (I prefer it to Beat Saber):

Curious to see if Lost Labyrinth and Asgard's Wrath are games I'd get into.

VR's had a lot of good stuff going on lately. Hopefully I can get Horizon Vanguard out in February (been a lot of quiet progress lately).
    Last edited by Tain; 18 Nov 2019 at 10:31 PM.

4. I haven't tried Pistol Whip yet, but I did pick up Asgard's Wrath and Stormland.

Asgard's Wrath is a high bar for depth and scope in a made-for-VR game. The mechanics feel great, there's a huge quest, a lot of puzzles and it's all very fleshed out and it feels like a real AAA, 30 hour action-RPG, which is a big deal in and of itself.

Stormland is like the closest thing to Breath of the Wild we've gotten in VR. It's very atmospheric, and again really great mechanics. It legit makes me afraid of falling in a way I haven't felt in VR before. It could stand to have more depth, variety of weapons, and better AI though. I hope they continue to patch and expand it like the did with Unspoken.

I don't think it was discussed here, but Reapawn's Oculus game turned out to be a new Medal of Honor title, which is interesting for a few reasons. It looks to be AAA-ish in scope, and calls back to the older WW2 MoH titles. I don't know that that name has much clout anymore or why they wouldn't just call it Battlefield, but Reapawn and Infinity Ward's legacy to that series makes it an interesting choice. That said, as much as I think the public wants high end VR FPS, I usually prefer VR games where I can drink up the environment and atmosphere rather than run through and now down enemeies.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 19 Nov 2019 at 10:11 AM.

5. I don't think I would want to play a standard FPS in VR. If I'm just standing in a small area or sitting down, I want the game to be about doing something that doesn't involve a lot of walking or running around. Tower defense, rail shooters, and any sort of vehicular game work fine. Games where you have to walk using an analog stick or teleport around just feel weird to me.

I'm still waiting for a good hot air balloon simulator.

6. It's been a really good fall for VR. It would be nice if it was also a good winter/spring/summer too, but it's nice to see so much going on. Audio Trip, Pistol Whip, Audica's full release, and I haven't gotten to touch Stormlands or Asgard's Wrath yet. My headset was getting dusty for a while there and it's nice to have a good selection of things to make me want to pick it up again.

7. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It's been a really good fall for VR. It would be nice if it was also a good winter/spring/summer too, but it's nice to see so much going on.
    There are some big ones coming up. Lone Echo II, Medal of Honor, and Half Life. After that... I am somewhat concerned.

8. Quest Link is impressive. It's not quite as good as using a Rift S when you compare them back to back, but the tracking feels native. It's a super-consistent experience and whatever latency is present is extremely well-hidden. I'd still say that a Rift S is a better buy if your main thing is going to be PC gaming (more comfortable, the cable rests in the headset less strangely, better visuals), but man, what a good feature to add to the Quest via software updates. It's a legitimate option as a PC headset.

9. Does it use the Quests's inside out tracking when linked to the PC, or do you still need tracking sensors?

10. It uses the Quest's inside-out tracking, no tracking cameras. You see the Quest's normal "paint your play area" setup, and as soon as you confirm the new Guardian space it flips over to emulating a Rift and dropping you in your Rift home area.