Page 71 of 84 FirstFirst ... 5767697071727375 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. HTC announces Vive Pro, a new model that boasts a modest 3K resolution update, and an official wireless adapter. Pretty compelling, if not revolutionary. Ball's in your court, Oculus.

2. It also has built in headphones and dual front cameras (which could have some novel uses imo) and looks a lot more comfortable. idk if I'm in on it, depends on how much the HMD-only price is. It looks like the full bundle may use Lighthouse 2.0, which looks neat:

https://uploadvr.com/heres-valves-se...-base-station/

Nothing crazy here, but all the updates are nice and if the full package isn't too far off the launch price of the Vive it seems like it'd be a safe suggestion for anybody looking to buy into PC VR.

3. It also apparently has an IPD sensor, which is a small-but-neat touch I hadn't heard of before.

4. Yeah, this is not what I would really consider a generational leap. It's like a 40% resolution increase. But when you add all the little things up, I'd say it puts it comfortably in the front of the pack, hardware-wise. At least as far as headsets go. I was hoping we'd see Valve's knuckles controller launch alongside this, but I guess that's still on Valve time.

Oculus seems to be very bearish on releasing Rift updates, but I think they're going to have to announce something before the end of the year at this point. They've only just recently closed the gap in installed base, and while they're still enjoying an attractive price point, we can't ignore how much of the current VR base is a rich man's market.

Got Rez in the mail, iam8bit finally came back to work after the holidays. Really looking forward to playing through this again, i really do love this game and VR is letting me play it in a new way.

So good.

6. Rez has always been amazing, but playing it in VR really brought me back to playing it for the first time. Area X was downright moving.

7. I tried From Other Suns briefly during the free weekend and it seems so sick. It's possible that the missions could get old after a while, I suppose, but I lost a few hours without even realizing it and I didn't get far in. I wasn't expecting it to be quite as FTL as it is, but boarding an attacking pirate ship, wiping them out, and taking their cargo ruled. It's probably even better in co-op.

One thing that especially surprised me was how slick the comfort movement mode is. Instead of pointing and teleporting, you move the left stick and see your body run out ahead of you while your perspective stays in place. It's direct control rather than point-and-click, so you can move in a straight line, zig-zag, whatever. When you break line of sight or stop moving your perspective will blink to your new position. It's simple, cool-looking, and IMO should pretty much wholly replace teleportation. The game supports sliding locomotion, too, and that's what I stick to, but this is probably the best option for those that get hit hard by sim sickness.

8. From Other Suns is a really great concept. I bought it a while back but still haven't had time to play it, alas.

9. Sairento is pretty fantastic, by the way. Jumping from wall to wall, breaking into slow motion mid-air while raining death below is incredibly fun. It's a bit creaky about the edges but there's a huge number of gameplay options available. I'm partial to the bow and katana with SMG backup, but there's plenty of room for mix & match. The enemies put up a good fight, too.

10. All Oculus Rifts are down until an expired certificate is fixed. Welcome to the digital future!

-edit-

1 day later-

Feeling pretty ok about getting $15 credit for not using the Rift for a day, on a day when I probably wouldn't have had time for it anyway.
    Last edited by James; 08 Mar 2018 at 04:29 PM.