Page 77 of 84 FirstFirst ... 6373757677787981 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Really nice improvements. I hope they can get them into consumer's hands in a timely fashion. It really does fix the Vive's biggest deficiency compared to Oculus, and even leapfrogs it.

PS - Moss has a physical release on PS4.

3. I got my Mirage Solo this week, and tonight I had some time to mess around with it.
    Nothing about the hardware itself was really unexpected, since I read a lot of reviews before buying it, but I was happy to discover that I have no problems or discomfort at all with VR so far. Even after wearing the headset for an hour, I still knew which way I was facing in real space. I wasn't expecting that.

I played the Rez Infinite demo and messed around with the various control types, watched some VR videos, and bought a silly game called Scramble Cats where you use a laser pointer to play with kittens. There are a handful of games I plan to buy and play this weekend, so I'll have a better sense of things then, but so far I'm happy with it.

It sucks that the library is so limited, and most of what is there is pretty basic, but I think it has enough going on to keep me entertained, especially with the developer mode.
    The included earbuds are indeed terrible, not because the sound they produce is bad, but because they act like a stethoscope and turn the slightest brush of the cord into what sounds like a cat playing in a cardboard box. Headphones are a must.
    Worldsense seemed a bit flaky at times, but I realized after turning the headset off that I hadn't taken the plastic off of the front panel. Derp. We'll see if that makes a difference next time I play with it.

The headset itself is reasonably comfortable and isn't too heavy. I played without glasses for the most part, and although the screen had some reflection and blurriness near the edges of the FOV, I didn't find it distracting after the first few minutes. The resolution isn't great, but I only really noticed on text. It's good enough for my lousy eyes, at any rate. The 6DoF tracking works great, and I really hope Daydream gets support for 6DoF controllers at some point. The 3DoF controller has to be recalibrated more often than I would like, but it's very responsive.

Overall this isn't really a product for everyone, but stand-alone VR is definitely a good thing. It's going to be amazing in another generation or two.
    Last edited by kedawa; 28 Jun 2018 at 12:12 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    even though it's woefully short and sets up a sequel that we've heard nothing about yet and may or may not ever get, Moss is probably my favorite VR experience yet. I loved every minute of it. all 180 or so of them.

5. Ninja Theory dropped a surprise VR version of Hellblade. It's not a seperate purchase (you buy one you get the other), but it has been reworked and optimized enough that it's a separate install on Steam.

Holy shit, this game. I'm just scraping the surface and I don't know if I can handle playing this whole thing in VR. It's beyond creepy and paranoid, with voices all around. The VR implementation is good -- it's clearly not a game made for VR, and it switches to a kind of "theater" view for the cut scenes, which were seamless in the normal version, but it works, it has a good smattering of options and it performs very well. It's an afterthought, but one they put a lot of effort into.

For some reason it lists the recommended specs as a GeForce 1080, but disregard this completely. It should run on basically any Oculus-ready system. I have a 1060 and it runs on high at 100% res without any issues.

6. Never played the original release, but I've always been curious and decided to give it a shot when I heard about this. I just spent the last 2+ hours playing it and could have seen myself going longer if I wasn't concerned what time it was. And wow, I'm glad I'm using better headphones than the standard Oculus ones because the audio in this game is ridiculous. Also playing on a 1060 6GB with good results. If anyone's thinking about it but doesn't already own the game, it's $18 on Humble this week. I highly recommend picking it up.

7. Got my hands on some SteamVR Knuckles EV3 yesterday! They're pretty nice. The pressure + capacitive gripping is great, and switching back to trying "legacy" software was pretty jarring after having adjusted to grabbing things more naturally. The thumbsticks are just a little far to reach and the finger tracking does have some small hiccups for me, but it's largely as good as I expected and is pretty easily my preferred VR controller now. Looking forward to messing with them in a development capacity (maybe UE 4.21?) and I definitely want to play with the Steam controller binding options more (they seem real flexible on these things).

I had friends try them out, and unfortunately a couple of them couldn't get the strap tightened enough for their hands. It wasn't so loose that they couldn't open their palms, but they didn't really feel comfortable making harder throwing motions. I'm guessing that's something Valve could iron out for the final controllers (different padded arc piece sizes or something?).

Astro Bot is stupid charming and cute. I have a huge smile on my face playing this game, and the gacha toy collectibles are as fun as the ones in the Playroom.

What a great game.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    Got my hands on some SteamVR Knuckles EV3 yesterday! They're pretty nice. The pressure + capacitive gripping is great, and switching back to trying "legacy" software was pretty jarring after having adjusted to grabbing things more naturally. The thumbsticks are just a little far to reach and the finger tracking does have some small hiccups for me, but it's largely as good as I expected and is pretty easily my preferred VR controller now. Looking forward to messing with them in a development capacity (maybe UE 4.21?) and I definitely want to play with the Steam controller binding options more (they seem real flexible on these things).

I had friends try them out, and unfortunately a couple of them couldn't get the strap tightened enough for their hands. It wasn't so loose that they couldn't open their palms, but they didn't really feel comfortable making harder throwing motions. I'm guessing that's something Valve could iron out for the final controllers (different padded arc piece sizes or something?).
    Is there really a limit to how tight you can pull the hand strap, and it's that large a gap? I got to try the EV2, I don't know if the 3 changed things some more. I'm trying to imagine how thin an adult hand could get.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

10. There's only so much slack between the controller proper and the uh, padded reinforced part. They are both tiny women.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Astro Bot is stupid charming and cute. I have a huge smile on my face playing this game, and the gacha toy collectibles are as fun as the ones in the Playroom.

What a great game.
    This is probably next up for me, once I finish La-Mulana 2. Really looking forward to it.