Page 1 of 84 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. The VR thread

I figure there's a small enough crowd for this here to consolidate VR talk between the big three HMDs into one thread.

I got my Rift today. After a week of going ham with my Vive, the Rift's advantages stand out a lot. It's super comfortable. The screen is notably clearer. The headphones are an absolute godsend. The setup process is a breeze, and the level of tracking Oculus pulled off with a single sensor is super impressive. And Lucky's Tale runs notably better natively than in Revive. Given how thin Revive is, I'm going to chalk that up to active timewarp black magic.

I could actually see myself taking this thing to my friend's place or whatever. It's a really nice headset, even if it is less obviously ambitious than the Vive.

2. I trust you guys. Someone shoot me straight.

Is this the next evolution of gaming, or is it just a thing that's neat for now? Is this the Playstation Move or is this the Dualshock?

These videos of people wearing this stuff and using all the accessories and wandering around rooms and looks totally stupid to me, but the idea of a really immersing experience sounds cool.

When you're using this thing, is it fun because it's new or is it the new way you want to experience game media

3. I have no interest in this shit as it is right now.
    But I've no doubt VR is the future. There's just been too many folks whose opinions I trust say that the experience is game changing, pun intended.

4. On the next episode of "Rich Gamer / Poor Gamer"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I trust you guys. Someone shoot me straight.

Is this the next evolution of gaming, or is it just a thing that's neat for now? Is this the Playstation Move or is this the Dualshock?

These videos of people wearing this stuff and using all the accessories and wandering around rooms and looks totally stupid to me, but the idea of a really immersing experience sounds cool.

When you're using this thing, is it fun because it's new or is it the new way you want to experience game media
    So far this shit is engrossing in ways that the Move, Wiimote, Kinect, and 3D TVs never were. If I can play something natively in VR, I'll play it that way. "Next evolution of gaming", idk. It won't straight-up obsolete traditional gaming (despite how my poor copy of Uncharted 4 may feel at the moment), but it is insanely immersive in comparison. On a foundational technical level, it has an advantage both in terms of fooling my senses and allowing for more complex ways of interacting with games. Now that it's here, I can't imagine something like it going away.

I think that, in the next few years, VR will be a successful new area that gathers a crowd large enough to sustain it (possibly in spite of the amateur-heavy library) and slowly develops its own substantial games that aren't possible anywhere else. We're seeing that now. Because games need to be built with it in mind, I think we'll see smarter hybrid games as time goes on and more and more big-budget projects with PSVR. In the long term, I don't know if it'll ever be the "main thing" without getting into sci-fi AR territory, but I'm 100% sure that it's here to stay.
    Last edited by Tain; 17 May 2016 at 07:46 PM.

6. So like you think it's more hand held than console? A big piece that's here for good, but not the definitive platform?

I could see that.

7. I imagine the sooner a universal "VR-spec" (like how an 'Android' game will work with all 'Android' phones, same buttons/inputs/etc) can be adopted across all units the easier it will be for headsets to carry across games/platforms/etc, but I don't imagine any of the companies are eager to agree to that yet.

The key to all of this is going to be when the headsets are an afterthought.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 18 May 2016 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Neither. It's a new medium that will exist alongside traditional gaming. It's much more than a gimmick, but it's also a very different thing that doesn't lend itself to conventional game design, so I doubt it'll displace the market for those experiences.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 17 May 2016 at 08:58 PM.

9. Also, tracking number get. I'll have my Rift Friday.

10. At this rate I'm either next Rift batch or the one after. Waiting, waiting, waiting...