Page 74 of 84 FirstFirst ... 6070727374757678 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. I've been reading reviews of the Mirage Solo and Oculus Go to try to get some idea of where these things are at, and I'm completely confused by the Oculus Go. Half of the reviews say right in the title that it's mobile VR without the need for a smartphone, but then I read that you can't set it up or use it without using a smartphone. It makes no sense.

2. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I've been reading reviews of the Mirage Solo and Oculus Go to try to get some idea of where these things are at, and I'm completely confused by the Oculus Go. Half of the reviews say right in the title that it's mobile VR without the need for a smartphone, but then I read that you can't set it up or use it without using a smartphone. It makes no sense.
    So you can use the Go without a smartphone, but it uses an app for account management, so you need a phone to do initial set up, I think. But you don't need your phone to actually use it, if that makes sense.

3. I got the impression that you need a smartphone to add content as well.
    It also seems weird that you can't do it on a PC.

4. I haven't used Go, but once you have a payment method set up, Oculus Home on Gear VR and PC lets you buy stuff by just entering a PIN. I can't imagine why Go would be any different.

5. I think you may need to enter that on a smartphone, is what I'm getting at. Hopefully not, but you never know.

I'm thinking of picking up the Mirage Solo. I'm not even considering a VR capable PC or console for the foreseeable future, and wireless VR is the only type I'm interested in, so it seems like a decent enough system. As long as Rez plays well, I'd be happy.

6. I don't think the Mirage Solo would be a good buy at this point. The controller is just a 3DOF pointer, and the support for 6DOF in Daydream is pretty dismal right now. That could (and surely will) improve, but I don't think you're going to get your value out of it. It won't play Rez, and really there are zero games of real substance on the platform.

The Go is really mostly tailored toward media consumption, which is something these devices do well, but also not really true VR. Oculus Santa Cruz should better, not only because it supports hand-tracked 6DOF controllers, but also because it's going to have Oculus' considerable financial muscle behind it ensuring some worthwhile software.

Frankly, PSVR is still probably the best budget option.

7. Why won't it play Rez? The store page says it works with any Daydream system.

I would consider PSVR more of a mid-range option, since it would cost about $1K for the whole system.

8. Oh, I didn't realize there actually is a Rez port for Daydream. The Daydream ecosystem does not have a lot of great titles right now, but I suppose that is one.

I see PSVR go on sale for like $200. PS4s are $300 and are also a PS4. That's only $100 more than Mirage Solo, and I think you get more.

Santa Cruz is just around the corner, too. Dev kits are already in the wild. That's the best bet when it comes to stand-alone VR, although we don't yet know what the price will be.

9. I'll probably cave and buy whatever platform gets a decent astronomy/planetarium app first.

10. I really want to pick up the Solo to mess around with development but I absolutely shouldn't. And yeah there's no software I'm really interested in. I guess in the developer menu you can force 6DOF support in all apps and disable the movement limitations, though, and videos of that look neat.