Page 9 of 84 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Tomorrow is VR arrival day. Finally!

2. Got it set up and running, but I could have sworn I owned more VR-capable games. Didn't realize the VR-capable version of Pinball FX2 was exclusive to the Oculus store, and even if you own the game already you need to re-buy. Very much not impressed with that.

Kind of torn on games I've got dual keys for, installing via Steam of the Oculus store. Probably going with Oculus just because there's less fuss accessing it and I don't care if people can see what games I'm playing.

3. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Got it set up and running, but I could have sworn I owned more VR-capable games. Didn't realize the VR-capable version of Pinball FX2 was exclusive to the Oculus store, and even if you own the game already you need to re-buy. Very much not impressed with that.
    I think they're kind of different games, though. Like different tables too.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter sold VR compatability as a $10 DLC, which seems sort of crappy, but I guess it is more than just a switch in the settings, it's a separate build of the game tuned for VR.

Kind of torn on games I've got dual keys for, installing via Steam of the Oculus store. Probably going with Oculus just because there's less fuss accessing it and I don't care if people can see what games I'm playing.
    I default to Steam when there's a choice because I want to know I can play may games if I ever leave the Oculus ecosystem. That hardware lock thing is a dumb idea. There are a lot of good Oculus exclusives though.

4. Oh definitely, if it's a choice of one over the other then it's Steam all the way. I've got a game or two that came with both Steam and Oculus codes, though, and while I redeemed both I ended up installing on the Oculus store.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I think they're kind of different games, though. Like different tables too.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter sold VR compatability as a $10 DLC, which seems sort of crappy, but I guess it is more than just a switch in the settings, it's a separate build of the game tuned for VR.
    I think Ethan Carter was remade in UE4 (from UE3) for the sake of the PS4 port, and that's what the VR version is based on.

6. Checked out Albino Lullaby in VR. First person movement needs a lot of tweaking before it's usable. I shut the game down the second I started feeling gross and won't be playing it again until a first-person control scheme is perfected. The forward/backward movement wasn't an issue but needing to turn my in-game body so I didn't end up spiraling around in my chair was not fun. Maybe a button to reorient my in-game body with the viewpoint might help? Clunky, but it might save on the the wooziness.
    Last edited by James; 09 Jun 2016 at 12:06 AM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Maybe a button to reorient my in-game body with the viewpoint might help? Clunky, but it might save on the the wooziness.
    This might not be what you are talking about, but if you hit the Xbox button on the middle of the controller it will bring up a menu where you can reset the view/orientation.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    I think Ethan Carter was remade in UE4 (from UE3) for the sake of the PS4 port, and that's what the VR version is based on.
    They released the UE4 version as a "Redux" already. The VR one runs on UE4, but it's not the same. The graphics have been dialed back a bit to keep up the framerate, there's an alternate node-based navigation system, etc. So in my Steam Library I have three separate versions of this damn game, that all need to be installed separately and use different saves.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Checked out Albino Lullaby in VR. First person movement needs a lot of tweaking before it's usable. I shut the game down the second I started feeling gross and won't be playing it again until a first-person control scheme is perfected. The forward/backward movement wasn't an issue but needing to turn my in-game body so I didn't end up spiraling around in my chair was not fun. Maybe a button to reorient my in-game body with the viewpoint might help? Clunky, but it might save on the the wooziness.
    Play standing up and turn your body.

Some games have a "comfort turn" that just snaps 45 degrees. I've read some games narrow the horizontal FOV while turning to mitigate dizziness. I also find you build up a tolerance to it over time. But the best way is simply turn your body like you would in life and lay off the "right stick" altogether.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 09 Jun 2016 at 08:32 AM.

9. Messing with Dolphin VR really makes me want a VR Mario game.

10. Playing Lucky's Tale really makes me want a VR Mario game, lol.

But yeah, Dolphin VR is really neat. I haven't tried it in a while, does all the head movement/rotation work at 90fps and the game stays at 60?