Page 53 of 84 FirstFirst ... 394951525354555767 ... LastLast

Thread: The VR thread

1. Damn, and I'm skipping E3 for the foreseeable future. Don't forget to tag me in on whatever press thingy you end up doing.

I actually owned a US copy of Motor Toon GP, by the way.

2. Click for full size

Click for full size

Google is partnering with HTC and Lenovo to release standalone headsets with inside-out positional tracking. All-in-one, no PC or phone needed. 2017.

With Microsoft, Oculus, and now Google+HTC all in on independent inside-out positional tracking, maybe the dream of beacon-free roomscale (as in, with good hand tracking) is closer than I thought. It sounds like the headsets alone are already there, given impressions of the Microsoft ones.

Exciting, imo.
    Last edited by Tain; 17 May 2017 at 05:16 PM.

3. If they're reasonably cheap and work with my prescription, I may just bite.
    The phone stuff is half-assed and the PC stuff is just too expensive and cumbersome.
    This could be the sweet spot.

4. The VR thread

I just realized I could fit a regular desktop into my living room setup if I wanted to, which expands my options for a new HTPC considerably (instead of longing for an updated X51 basically). I just wish these companies would go ahead and announce a OR2 or Vive 2. Instead they are just announcing all these expensive kludgy adapters and shit.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I just realized I could fit a regular desktop into my living room setup if I wanted to, which expands my options for a new HTPC considerably (instead of longing for an updated X51 basically). I just wish these companies would go ahead and announce a OR2 or Vive 2. Instead they are just announcing all these expensive kludgy adapters and shit.
    I expect that's a ways off. They're talking about varifocal displays, retinal resolution... stuff that's probably still a couple years out.

That new thing from LG is probably you're best bet for a stopgap Vive upgrade.

6. The VR thread

Do you think they will release new headsets in 2018?

It's weird because apparently the new Vives are lighter than the launch and they are redesigning the little IR things and it's just this ridiculous Frankenstein process.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Do you think they will release new headsets in 2018?
    Brenden Iribe just said 2019 at the earliest for Oculus. Oculus also just announced they're developing a new "Focal surface display" tech that could allow your eyes to focus on different depths naturally, which I expect will be a next-gen feature.

It's weird because apparently the new Vives are lighter than the launch and they are redesigning the little IR things and it's just this ridiculous Frankenstein process.
    SteamVR is a larger platform than just what HTC is doing. LG's new SteamVR headset features better ergonomics and higher resolution than the Vive. That is, for all intents and purposes, the 2017 "update" for SteamVR.

Hardware-wise, I'm pretty convinced that's going to be the best option. Oculus has a price and software edge, but you can play most Oculus games on SteamVR with ReVive so I wouldn't factor that in too heavily. I guess Oculus has the better software bundle too, so maybe that's worth thinking about.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 19 May 2017 at 05:37 PM.

8. Oculus has been on a roll with their late-breaking release dates. Looks like Mage's Tale is launching on June 20. It's a Dungeon Crawler set in the Bard's Tale universe that promises 10+ hours of gameplay. I'm pretty excited about this one. I'm hoping it combines Unspoken-like magic mechanics in a deep single-player campaign.

9. Airtone is out and it's dope. Will be nice to play between losing my mind in Battlezone.